Matthew Stafford’s era with the Detroit Lions is over. After 12 years with the Lions, Stafford was traded to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for Jared Goff and some future first-round picks. Under coach Dan Campbell and general manager Brad Holmes, Detroit will try to rebuild itself.
With the seventh overall pick, the Lions seem like a good place to get an impact playmaker. They probably won’t go for a quarterback after acquiring Goff, so they can either go with a top receiver there or look for one of the best defenders in the entire draft. It all depends on what Campbell and Holmes envision for the team.
The Matt Patricia-era Lions already had some talented players on the roster, so Campbell has a few pieces to work with. Complementing them will be key to making the most of his first season with the Lions. And on offense, they need to make sure Goff is surrounded by talent. Otherwise, you could have a lot of trouble as a starter.
Here’s a look at the Lions’ picks in the 2021 NFL Draft:
MOST DRAFT OF THE NFL: Complete 7-round simulation | Big Top 100 board
2021 Lions Draft Picks: When Does Detroit Pick?
- Round 1, Pick No. 7
- Round 2, Pick No. 41
- Round 3, Pick No. 72
- Round 3, Pick No. 101
- Round 4, Pick No. 112
- Round 5, Pick No. 153
2021 Lions NFL Draft Order
|3||38 (Compensatory selection)|
MORE: Read the latest NFL Draft news at SN Draft Headquarters
Lions NFL Draft Needs
- The wide receiver: The Lions let Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones into free agency and replaced them with Breshad Perriman and Tyrell Williams. Both are good deep threats, but the Lions need help in the slot and could use a true No. 1 receiver, as Perriman and Williams would be the best secondary and third options.
- Attack player: That Sean McVay wants to improve Jared Goff doesn’t look good for the quarterback’s future. Goff is still young enough to be successful, but adding another young quarterback in the middle rounds of the draft to compete with him would be a sensible move.
- Defensive line: Retaining Romeo Okwara after a 10-sack season was a good move from the Lions, but they need depth behind him and Trey Flowers. It also wouldn’t hurt to find a better starting option alongside Michael Brockers than John Penisini.
- Cornerback: The Lions have 2020 first-round pick Jeff Okudah at the position, but they cut Desmond Trufant and Justin Coleman, their two starters from last year. They will need someone to compete for those two jobs with Amani Oruwariye and Mike Ford.
- Supporter: Lions need improvements on all three levels of their defense. They signed Alex Anzalone to compete with Jamie Collins and Jahlani Tavai for playing time, but adding a top linebacker prospect to push off the 31-year-old Collins and the often-injured Anzalone would be a good play.
2021 Detroit Lions Mock Draft
Here are the latest 2021 NFL Draft projections for the Lions, based on Vinnie Iyer’s mock seven-round draft:
|two||9||Liam Eichenberg||Old Testament||Our lady|
|3||38||Dazz newsome||WR||North Carolina|
|4||7||Shakur brown||CB||Michigan state|
|5||9||Janarius Robinson||EDGE||Florida State|
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.