Thursday, July 7

83% of Spaniards support remaining in NATO and the majority see Russia as responsible for the war in Ukraine


Updated

The invasion ordered by Putin is the main problem for the Spanish, followed by the price of fuel

A policeman keeps watch next to several security fences in Madrid, before the NATO summit.MarshalEFE

More than four out of five Spaniards support Spain remaining in NATO, while more and more people consider that Russia is the main threat that the Alliance defends them from, according to the special barometer on the conflict in Ukraine and the NATO summit that has been prepared by the Elcano Royal Institute.

The Russian invasion of Ukraine and the perception of an incipient threat from Moscow have reinforced Spanish support for NATO. Thus, 83% support permanence, a figure slightly higher than the 80% of last February and which comes to maintain the level of support that was in November 2018, when it was 78%.

However, there are differences depending on the ideology. Thus, the continuity in the Alliance is endorsed by 91% of Spaniards from the center, by 90% of those who say they are from the right and by 66% of those from the left.

As regards the summit to be hosted by Madrid on June 29 and 30, 57% of those consulted knew about its celebration while the remaining 43% had no news. Likewise, 70% believe that the meeting will be important for the war in Ukraine while 30% consider that it will be just another summit.

On the other hand, the Russian invasion of Ukraine has brought with it an increase in the number of Spaniards who support increasing defense spending, as the government has said it is about to do. Thus, compared to 35% in February 2018, now there are 52% who support it.

Also Read  The Illes Balears Clàssics recovers this year the three days of regattas

According to the survey, the war in Ukraine is the main problem facing Europe today and Russia is ultimately responsible for it in the opinion of the majority of Spaniards. 58% of those consulted identify the war as the main problem, a figure that shoots up to 74% among those over 55 years of age and falls to 40% among young people between 18 and 34 years of age.

The second problem, at a considerable distance, is the price of fuel, which is cited by 23% of those consulted. Also in this case there are differences by age, but in the opposite direction, since the young are the most concerned (35%) compared to the older ones (12%).

Along with these two issues, 9% of Spaniards cite the price of electricity and another 9% climate change, while COVID-19 only represents the main problem for 1%.

As regards who is responsible for the conflict, the Spanish are clear: 85% cite Russia, while 15% consider that it is NATO for approaching this country with its expansion.

Thus, 95% of Spaniards consider that the conflict will most likely bring economic problems to Spain, while only 5% consider it probable that Russia may take military action against the country. In addition, 64% believe it is somewhat likely that Russia will attack another NATO country and thereby provoke Spanish intervention.

In these circumstances, the number of Spaniards who consider that the main threat against which NATO defends Spain for being part of it is Russia continues to increase. The figure has gone from 5% in November 2021 to 52% today.

Also Read  Turkey opposes the accession of Sweden and Finland to NATO

Returning to the conflict, the majority believes that Ukraine will win the war but will not be able to recover Crimea, held by Russia since 2014. Thus, 86% believe that Ukraine will remain an independent state but Moscow will control part of its territory, compared to 8 % who believe that Russia will put an end to Ukraine’s independence and 6% who see a victory for kyiv and a total withdrawal of the Russians.

On the other hand, almost two out of three Spaniards are in favor of the United States and the EU negotiating with Russia if the war drags on, even if it is in exchange for Ukraine losing part of its territory, while four out of five are committed to continuing to support Ukrainian troops as long as the fighting continues.

According to the criteria of

The Trust Project

Know more




www.elmundo.es

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.