Relatives of Afghans caught in the Kabul airport blast have begged the British government to help them bring their loved ones, including a seriously injured baby, to the UK.
But the daughter of a British merchant, Musa Popal, 60, who was killed, said her family felt “ignored” by the Foreign Office when she begged for help in bringing her mother home.
Popal’s family spoke up after the mother of a baby who was seriously injured when his grandfather, a London minicab driver, was killed in the attack, pleaded for him to be brought to the UK as soon as possible.
Muhammad Raza, 23 months old, is being treated in Kabul for injuries caused by last week’s explosion that killed Sultan Muhammed Rez, 49, one of three British nationals confirmed to have been killed in the terror attack.
The baby’s mother, Basbibi, 19, said she had been pointed out through a door on the way to an RAF flight leaving Afghanistan and that soldiers prevented her from running back to the site of Thursday’s attack in the Hamid Karzai International Airport.
“I am desperate to be reunited with my baby. I pray that the British government can do something to bring him here and save him, “he told the Sun on Sunday.
Surgeons removed shrapnel from Muhammad’s abdomen and repaired a tear in his intestines, the newspaper said. The Defense Ministry said on Friday that only UK citizens and Afghans who had already been prosecuted would be airlifted.
A girl named Havva was born on an RAF evacuation flight on its way to Birmingham on Saturday. His mother, Soman Noori, was among 15,000 people the British government said it had flown from Kabul, including 2,200 children.
However, Popal’s daughter said she feared for the life of her mother, Saleema, 60, who remains in Afghanistan, and of her family members who she believes could be the target of the Taliban.
“I have never experienced pain like this. I feel like I’m falling apart, ”said Zohra Popal on Sunday.
“My mother, now she has no documents because my father had everything when he died,” he said, adding that the family had not been able to communicate with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which said it had not been in contact since the death of his father. confirmed.
“She and the rest of my family are still in danger and we could still lose them. And yet we cannot communicate with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Their number is constantly compromised. We feel completely ignored. But we must keep them safe. I can not live without them. We need help from the government. “
Popal, 60, was said to be trying to attract the attention of soldiers guarding the airport when the attack occurred.
A grocer in Hendon, northwest London, had British and Afghan citizenship after moving to the UK in 1999 and had gone to Afghanistan at the end of May to visit his family in Kandahar. His grandson, Hameed, was with him at the time of the explosion and is also missing.
Tributes were paid to him and other Britons who died in last week’s attack, including another London taxi driver who was killed with his wife and two of their four children.
Mohammad Niazi, 29, had traveled to Kabul on Tuesday in an effort to bring his family to Britain, but his brother told the BBC that he was killed in a crossfire after the suicide bombing. He said his brother’s wife and two of his children were still missing. Niazi’s two-year-old son and daughter were reportedly being treated at the hospital for their injuries.
Niazi thought he was one of the “lucky ones” in line for a flight out of Afghanistan, a friend, Imran Niazi, told Sky News. He told the Sunday Times that the Uber driver had worked 16 hours a day in the UK, sending most of his earnings to his wife, Samina. It was said that he had been trying to improve his wife’s English, using online lessons, so that she could pass a language test required for a visa application and had dreamed of joining his family in Britain.
Imran Niazi said that he had taken his friend to the airport to catch his flight and had told him that he would call him once he arrived in Afghanistan, but the call never came.
Up to 170 people are estimated to have died in the bombing, along with 13 US military personnel.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been contacted for comment.
George is Digismak’s reported cum editor with 13 years of experience in Journalism