Sunday, December 5

All Blacks Continue to Score to Continue Bledisloe Cup Dominance Over the Wallabies | Bledisloe Cup

The All Blacks claimed the Bledisloe Cup in astonishing fashion, punishing the rebellious Wallabies 57-22 in a record-breaking beating at Eden Park.

A harrowing competition in the first half turned ugly for Australia after the rainy break in Auckland, New Zealand ran on four attempts in a lethal 18 minute period. The All Blacks now hold an unassailable 2-0 lead before the series concludes in Perth in fifteen days and extends the Bledisloe Cup stay in New Zealand to 19 years.

Australia’s wait at Eden Park also continues: losers in their last 21 games at their home of horrors throughout a miserable 35-year run. In terms of points awarded, none were worse than Saturday night.

David Havili’s effort in the 82nd minute led New Zealand to its highest score against Australia in 118 years of testing.

It could have been so different for Dave Rennie’s side, who was enterprising and, as promised, physical in a vibrant first half.

At 21-15 at halftime and with Ardie Savea in the bin, they will regret a wayward lineout deep in All Blacks territory that preceded their carnage. Turnovers killed their hopes: Twice the Wallabies threw themselves into the arms of All Blacks players for out-of-control attempts.

Noah Lolesio, who improved his kicks from 2/7 last week to 3/4, fired a bullet at Rieko Ioane, who opened the scoring by running an unrivaled 70 yards. Lolesio made amends with an open kick to Kellaway, who danced past McKenzie to score.

Dave Rennie’s desired physical contest was in the offing: Korobiete featured Dalton Papalii in one of several jaw-dropping shots from the crowd. However, the negligence undid the Wallabies again, with Lachlan Swinton stripped away by Mo’unga during another Australian attack.

Five passes and 15 seconds later, Brodie Retallick had the ball over the try line as the All Blacks engine began to purr.

The strength of the Brute All Blacks saw Savea score in 31 minutes, Mo’unga’s conversion pushed the score to 21-8 and gave the Wallabies a mountain to climb. They didn’t stop, with the impressive McDermott going after a series of messy scrums right on the All Blacks try line to cut the deficit to six points.

The battle to influence referee Brendon Pickerill was almost as fierce as the actual competition.

Sam Whitelock complained to Pickerall that the Wallabies claimed territory and Michael Hooper said “I want a yellow card” for persistent defensive infractions. Hooper got his wish when Savea was trashed shortly after, but they were unable to profit.

The quick thinking of Aaron Smith, one of the best on the field, freed Codie Taylor to score and the All Blacks didn’t look back. Sevu Reece claimed Matt To’ouma’s pass for a second out-of-control interception attempt, and soon, the competition was over.

Taylor claimed a double and Will Jordan continued his excellent shot scoring as New Zealand reached 50 points. Kellaway’s consolation did little to avoid the Aussie blush as Havili ran to complete the loss.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *