Tuesday, June 6

Automotive dealers prepare for “life beyond the electric car”

The automotive industry is facing a profound transformation, which goes beyond the electrification process and, in the case of Europe, with the commitment to reduce emissions.

Beyond the current doubts among potential buyers and the crisis generated by the pandemic and the war with Ukraine, the new mobility poses a challenge for users and especially for distributors, which does not mean that there is a lack of business opportunities beyond of the traditional sale and repair of vehicles.

Making this new reality known is the objective of the study “Economic scope of the new mobility”, presented this Tuesday by Ganvam together with NTT Data. A work that, according to Fernando Miguélez, general director of the association that brings together vehicle distributors and repairers in Spain, Ganvam, is presented with the aim of “having a solid and well-founded roadmap, analyzing the new scenario and their business opportunities.

In this sense, the study shows that the mobility services market, which includes elements such as ‘car sharing’ (car sharing), the sale of accessories or the maintenance of ‘software’ and ‘hardware’, has potential to generate revenue of around 15,450 million euros per year.

Thus, the subscription of vehicles (car sharing, shared mobility), the sale of products and services related to electric mobility and recharging, the installation and maintenance of ‘software’ and ‘hardware’, or the sale of data (personalized mobility services , predictive maintenance, etc.) and the circular economy linked to the reuse of batteries and the reconditioning of vehicles are some of the possibilities open to the sector.

According to Ganvam and NTT Data, around 90% of the potential 15,450 million euros (some 15,000 million annual turnover that vehicle dealers can capture will come from the “monetization of the data generated by the connected vehicle”. In fact, they foresee that in 2030 40% of the vehicles in Spain will be connected and will be “monetizable”.

Also Read  600 died in Mariupol theater bombing, AP says

Meanwhile, it estimates the potential of alternative mobility models at 80 million euros, that of electric charging products and services at 270 million euros and that of the circular economy at 100 million euros.

The study concludes that by 2030 around 34% of new vehicles will be registered to be used for mobility services.

In this context, the document is based on the more than 33,400 million journeys made in 2022, of which 85% were made by private vehicle, while the remaining 15% corresponds to the use of collective transport. The study takes as a starting point the more than 33,400 million journeys made in 2022, of which 85% were made by private vehicle, while the remaining 15% corresponds to the use of collective transport.

This collective mobility, which promotes the use of the vehicle as opposed to property, is currently in the hands of some 340 operators that generate a turnover of 15,000 million euros per year, that is, the same as the potential market for mobility as a service. identified for the vehicle distribution sector.

In addition to mobility as a service, the report also focuses on promoting sustainability as one of the currents that distributors should not leave behind. This trend, which is currently leveraged by electric vehicles, will also develop through other alternative energies such as e-fuels -which do not require the deployment of new infrastructures- or hydrogen.

During the presentation of the study, the Commissioner for Perte Vec, José María López, intervened, who explained that in 2019 the percentage of electrified cars represented 0.6%, while in 2022 the number of hybrid and plug-in cars increased to 12.1%, which accounts for the relevance that the electric car is taking on in Europe and in Spain. Despite this, he regretted that charging points continue to be one of the main problems “that must be faced, since we currently have about 18,800, well below the 42,000 expected.”

Also Read  Tie on points for the lead in four of the five categories

José María López, pointed out that the conditions of the next call for aid for the second edition of Perte Vec are being finalized, which will be published in the coming months. For this second part of the call, some of the requirements have been eliminated based on the results obtained in the first phase of the Perte. Thus, requirements such as the minimum size of companies that can participate in the plan, the mandatory presence of a minimum of SMEs, and the required guarantees are reduced by 40%. López has assured that “I will not leave here until I give the last euro of this project, which is very beautiful for our country.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *