Monday, November 29

Benjamin Mendy: Footballer Arrested on Rape Charges | UK News


Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy has been taken into custody after appearing in court on four counts of rape and sexual assault.

The French international defender is charged with crimes against three women, including one under the age of 18, according to a court heard on Friday.

One of the alleged rapes is said to have taken place at Mendy’s home in Cheshire this week when he was on police bail for other sex crimes, the Chester magistrates court was reported.

The other three rape charges date from October 2020, and the sexual assault is alleged to have taken place in January this year.

Mendy, who was expected to be part of the Manchester City squad to face Arsenal on Saturday until charged, will spend at least the holiday weekend in custody after a judge rejected his request for bail.

He is due to appear in court on September 10 and could be in custody at least until then, unless his legal team appeals against the denial of bail. Any appeals will not be heard before the beginning of next week.

Mendy, dressed in a red Balenciaga hoodie and black Adidas sweatpants, stood expressionless with his arms crossed as the court clerk presented the charges through a French interpreter.

Debbie Byrne, the accuser, said Mendy was originally arrested and released under investigation on November 11 last year on suspicion of rape. In January, he was arrested again on suspicion of sexual assault, the court was told.

Byrne said one of the conditions on Mendy’s bail was that she shouldn’t have house parties. She said police were called to a party attended by up to 21 people at Mendy’s home in the Cheshire village of Mottram St Andrew this week. He was then arrested on a new rape charge and for allegedly violating the conditions of his bail, the court heard.

The prosecutor said that Mendy had shown an unwillingness to comply with the conditions of his bail and that he should be taken into custody to prevent him from committing more crimes.

She said: “The defendant has shown utter contempt and, the crown will say, arrogance by ignoring the bail conditions and continuing to lead his social life as he wants.”

Mendy sat next to two court officials on the glass-fronted dock as his attorney, Christopher Stables, asked the judge not to take the footballer into custody. Stables said Mendy had already been in custody for “two days and two nights” while awaiting the hearing on Friday, and it had been a “real shock” to him.

He said that the experience “has served as a hard lesson of what can happen if the bail conditions are not met,” and that if the bail is granted on Friday, the footballer would know that it is “indeed his last chance.” .

Stables said Mendy was willing to transfer £ 50,000 immediately to court as collateral if bail was granted, as well as indulge in “what could best be described as house arrest” with an extended curfew and electronic tag.

The lawyer said Mendy was willing to live on a “much smaller” property owned by an unidentified friend, a “positive influence”, on the other side of Manchester.

However, District Judge Jack McGarva said he was not satisfied that Mendy would not commit more crimes if he was allowed out of court on bail. Mendy showed no reaction when he was taken to court cells.

Stables told the court that Mendy’s trial “will be many, many months away, well into the new year,” raising the possibility that he could be detained for several months unless a higher-ranking judge overturns the decision. on Friday.

The full-back was named a substitute in Manchester City’s last game, against Norwich last Saturday, and has played for his club five times since July. He joined Manchester City from Monaco in 2017 for a total of £ 52 million, which was then a record for a defender.


www.theguardian.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share