Don’t look now, but the Denver Broncos actually have a pretty good roster. They have a lot of great offensive weapons, solid blocks, and a well-trained defense that looks especially strong at the rear.
Of course, they are missing a key position that contenders need: a quarterback. Drew Lock has yet to meet his second-round billing and his third season will be a watershed year. Last year, Lock was a roller coaster ride for Broncos fans, but when he wasn’t playing, the team was equally volatile with Jeff Driskel and Brett Rypien leading the way.
And of course, there was the notorious Kendall Hinton game, where the team’s practice squad catcher had to start as a quarterback after all of Denver’s passers were ruled out due to COVID protocols.
Vic Fangio’s team will be looking to avoid those pitfalls this year and if they can add a solid-looking quarterback or see Lock improve, they could be a playoff team. The question is whether or not they will be positioned to land a top-tier passer in the 2021 NFL Draft at the bottom end of the top 10.
Here’s a look at the Broncos’ picks in the 2021 NFL Draft:
MOST DRAFT OF THE NFL: Complete 7-round simulation | Big Top 100 board
Broncos draft picks 2021: When does Denver pick?
- Round 1, Pick No. 9
- Round 2, Pick No. 40
- Round 3, Pick No. 71
- Round 4, Pick No. 114
- Round 5, Pick No. 152
- Round 6, Pick No. 191
- Round 7, Pick No. 237
- Round 7, Pick No. 239
- Round 7, Pick No. 253
2021 Broncos NFL Draft Order
MORE: Read the latest NFL Draft news at SN Draft Headquarters
Broncos NFL Draft Needs
- Attack player: The Broncos have a stacked offense, but is Drew Lock the answer? He is averaging one interception per game during his NFL career and tied for the league lead in interceptions (15) despite playing just 13 games last year. You may have one more chance to get started, but it is not a guarantee.
- Offensive tackle: Demar Dotson is a 35-year-old free agent. The Broncos need to add a young right tackle to the fold to hold on to Garret Bolles.
- Defensive tackle: Jurrell Casey’s experiment didn’t work last year. The Broncos need to add another contributor along their defensive line alongside Shelby Harris.
- Supporter: The Broncos could use a true three-down linebacker to pair up with Alexander Johnson. Josey Jewell was strong last year, but if the team could find a better coverage option to pair with him, his linebacker unit would look great.
- Edge accelerator: Von Miller and Bradley Chubb are a good avant-garde duo. Miller missed all of last year with an ankle injury, however, and the team doesn’t have much depth in position behind them.
2021 Broncos Mock Draft
Here are the latest 2021 NFL Draft projections for the Broncos, based on Vinnie Iyer’s mock seven-round draft:
|1||9||Justin fields||QB||State of ohio|
|5||8||Khalil herbert||RB||Virginia Tech|
|7||eleven||Drew dalman||G / C||Stanford|
|7||26||Jaylon moore||Old Testament||Western michigan|
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.