When the Eagles (4-10-1) host the Washington (5-10) soccer team in Philadelphia on “Sunday Night Football” (8:20 pm ET, NBC), they will be looking to play the spoiler. Regardless of what happens earlier in the Giants-Cowboys game, Washington would win the NFC East with a win and lose it with a loss.
The Eagles will once again be starting rookie quarterback Jalen Hurts, but on offense, they’ll miss running back Miles Sanders, wide receiver DeSean Jackson, tight end Dallas Modern and left tackle Jordan Malta, all with injuries. Defensively, the Eagles will be behind defensive linemen Fletcher Cox and Derek Barnett and linebacker Duke Riley, among others.
Washington will get veteran quarterback Alex Smith back, but he could be without running back Antonio Gibson and wide receiver Terry McLaurin.
Here’s everything you need to know about betting on the Eagles vs. Washington in Week 17, including updated odds, trends and our prediction for “Sunday Night Football.”
MORE: Washington Soccer Team Playoffs Image for Week 17
Eagles vs. Washington odds
- Spread: Washington for 6.5
- Below: 43.5
- Money line: Washington -290, Aguilas +245
The Eagles started as small favorites, but then Washington, with Philadelphia’s injury situation getting worse, took the lead. The number skyrocketed before Sunday based on the Eagles not really committing themselves with full force to win the game.
Eagles vs. Washington historical series
The Eagles lead the long-standing rivalry 87-79-5. They left a big lead in Washington to lose 27-21 to start the 2020 NFL regular season. Before that game, the Eagles had won six in a row in the series. They will try to get back on track to close the season.
Three trends to know
– 55 percent of spread bettors are with Washington to take over the game with a touchdown or more on the road.
– 94 percent of over / under bettors think the low number is too low and that Washington’s offense is capable of doing more with Smith.
– Washington is 8-6-1 against the differential with five games this season. The Eagles are 6-9 against the spread and seven of their games have been beaten.
Three things to see
Hurts is playing to show that he should be the Eagles’ future as a quarterback instead of Carson Wentz. You may be short on staff, but you will be determined and motivated to make big plays with your arms and legs to finish your opening season strong.
Smith is smart
Smith will return to clear Washington’s QB after Dwyane Haskins’ impeachment. It’s a minor miracle that he’s come back healthy even playing soccer in 2020. He’ll try to channel the inspiring leadership of his coach, Ron Rivera, and turn Washington on his back to put him in the playoffs.
Chase Young and the fast pass
Washington had eight sacks in the Week 1 meeting when Wentz was QB. Now the Eagles are exhausted on both offensive tackles against Hurts. If Washington can dominate up front, the Eagles wouldn’t have much of a chance.
Statistics that matter
17. That’s the average number of points Washington has scored in the last three games for the NFL No. 28. The Eagles have been a little better offensively with Hurts than with Wentz. If Philadelphia’s healthy defenders show up to make this an ugly battle of attrition, he would have a good chance for surprise.
Eagles vs Washington Prediction
Smith and Rivera will make Washington play tough. But the Eagles should also be motivated, for the sake of remaining coach Doug Pederson and outgoing defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, despite limited firepower, which could be a wash with Ft. Hurt makes enough prime-time plays for mild discomfort.
Aguilas 23, Washington 20
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.