Monday, January 24

FA Cup recap: Boreham Wood passes as Huddersfield stuns Burnley | FA Cup

Tyrone Marsh and Adrian Clifton fired the National League team Boreham Wood in the fourth round of the FA Cup for the first time in its history.

Marsh’s spectacular first-half goal and Clifton’s late goal, moments after coming off the bench, ensured a 2-0 win and one of the third-round upsets against League One. AFC Wimbledon.

It was a memorable afternoon for Wood and his manager Luke Garrard, who as a player made more than 100 appearances for Wimbledon and helped them to two promotions as he ended up leaving his old club out of the competition.

Although 34 places in the league separated the two teams, the visitors are enduring a rather disappointing season as Boreham Wood is pushing for promotion to the Football League.

Matty Pearson was From Burnley nemesis once again when his last header saw Huddersfield They are coming from behind to knock the Premier League team out of the FA Cup with a 2-1 win at Turf Moor.

Pearson, whose overtime goal gave Accrington Stanley a League Cup victory over Burnley in 2016, headed to the championship club with four minutes remaining after Josh Koroma canceled Jay Rodriguez’s goal in the first. half.

The Clarets did not have coach Sean Dyche, absent with Covid-19, and without a spark against the Terriers, who made seven changes to the team that drew 0-0 with Blackburn last weekend, but were able to lead the second. half.

This is the 100th anniversary of Huddersfield’s only FA Cup success, a streak that began with a 2-2 draw at Turf Moor, and while a replay would be beyond fairy tale, this was a good start.

Josh Koroma is congratulated by his teammates after scoring Huddersfield's first goal at Burnley.
Josh Koroma is congratulated by his teammates after scoring Huddersfield’s first goal at Burnley. Photograph: Jan Kruger / Getty Images

A fault in a reflector and a series of forced changes could not derail Leicester when they began their FA Cup defense with a convincing 4-1 victory over Watford.

Youri Tielemans and James Maddison got the Foxes off to a good start in their third-round tie at King Power Stadium before Harvey Barnes and Marc Albrighton struck after a response from João Pedro.

The lights went out for a short period early in the second half when Leicester led 3-1, and Pedro hit the crossbar shortly after the restart, but the hosts finished stronger. It was a lively encounter, despite coaches Brendan Rodgers and Claudio Ranieri making a combined 16 changes between them.

The Wigan Substitute Thelo Aasgaard scored a winning goal in injury time to solve a five-goal comeback thriller in the FA Cup third round against Black burn at the DW Stadium.

The hosts would have been delighted to come to halftime on equal terms having played second fiddle for the first 45 minutes, but the Rovers made their divisional superiority pay within four minutes of the restart. Joe Rothwell fed Reda Khadra, who shot into the bottom corner of Jamie Jones’ net to open the scoring.

But with another Rovers goal that seemed inevitable, Wigan leveled just past the hour mark when Max Power passed Aynsley Pears in the Rovers’ goal.

Wigan then began to dominate and took the lead for the first time, 16 minutes from time. Jack Whatmough’s header from the corner seemed routine enough for Pears to handle it, but the keeper somehow gestured and then carried the ball over the line for a comical own goal.

Blackburn leveled again when a Khadra free kick with two minutes remaining was sent to the far post by Daniel Ayala.

Although, incredibly, there was still time for a winning goal. And towards the end of the added five minutes, Aasgaard sent a curly shot from the left wing that completely fooled Pears and found the top corner of the net to carry Latics into the fourth round.

League Two Hartlepool United He also provided an early surprise in the third round on Saturday with a 2-1 victory over the Championship. Blackpool. Keshi Anderson gave Blackpool a lead in the eighth minute, but David Ferguson equalized just after halftime and at the hour mark teenager Joe Gray scored the winning goal.

The Fiver – Sign up and receive our daily soccer email.

Brighton advanced to the fourth round as Neal Maupay’s attack in overtime secured a 2-1 win over 10 men West brom in the Hawthorns.

The championship promotion pursuers took the lead via a 47-minute Callum Robinson before being reduced to 10 men with just over 20 minutes of normal time remaining when Cedric Kipre earned two bookings in quick succession.

The visitors took advantage when substitute Jakub Moder drew level in the 81st minute, then put Maupay ahead in the eighth minute into the first half of extra time.

League Two Mansfield Town were crushed to death after a valiant comeback in a 3-2 home loss to Middlesbrough.

The visitors were in command with two goals in the first 14 minutes. But Stags dominated the second half and thought he had forced extra time when Rhys Oates tied after 85 minutes only to be undone by John-Joe O’Toole’s own goal in injury time.

The new Peterborough Bali Mumba’s signing made an instant impact with a debut winner to secure a 2-1 victory over Bristol Rovers. Norwich’s loaned arrival was dispatched by manager Darren Ferguson at half-time and responded with the decisive goal in the 63rd minute.

And in a couple of championship draws, Coventry were winners 1-0 over Derby, While Fulham needed extra time for the victory by the same score over Bristol city.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *