Pumpkin pie is one of the most emblematic recipesicas of autumn, and actually of all time. In the United States it is a dish of immense tradition, not in vain it is the protagonist of iconic celebrations such as Halloween, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas. It is one of the warmer and more comforting desserts, that heralds the arrival of the cold season. It is so loved that today there are different versions of homemade recipes, this time we gave ourselves the task of collect original recipe and also some fun facts about this wonderful classic of classics.
A little about its history:
The first recorded recipe for a “modern” pumpkin pie was published in 1796 in the American Cookery by Amelia Simmons, it should be noted that this was the first cookbook dedicated to Native American foods. In this iconic reference, the pumpkin pie was called Pompkin Pudding. About the origin of the pumpkin pie, we know that it is a traditional North American dessert It is very traditionally consumed during the fall and early winter. Especially to unleash the end of the year celebrations. Among its great benefits, it stands out for being the most popular dish made with pumpkin, which is the perfect symbol of harvest time and an iconic element in American cuisine. Plus, they are incredibly nutritious and packed with medicinal properties.
Broadly speaking, the pumpkin pie is characterized by a pumpkin-based pastry cream, which dreams of varying in color from orange to brown (depending on the pumpkins used). It is baked on a single base and a top crust is rarely included. One of the most iconic elements of the recipe is that it is seasoned with a mixture of exquisite and aromatic seasonings that are commercially known as “pumpkin spice mix”, which usually contains a mixture of ground spices: cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and sometimes pepper.
Each region of the United States has its own local recipes, however it is often made with canned pumpkin or pumpkin pie filling (which already has the spice mix included) and is a seasonal product available at bakeries and grocery stores. So without further ado, here are our favorite Pumpkin Pie recipe. It will fill the autumn days with joy!
Original recipe for Pumpkin Pie:
Ingredients for the dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 to 6 tablespoons of cold water
Ingredients for the stuffing:
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 can (29 oz.) Pumpkin puree, unsweetened and 100% natural (Libby’s is a great option)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, nutmeg, and ginger
- 2 cups of evaporated milk
- To decorate: whipped cream, cinnamon stick and powder.
Preparation mode: Preheat the oven to 450º.
- For the mass: In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt; add the butter in pieces until it crumbles. Little by little add water, stir with a fork until the dough forms a ball. Divide the dough in half. On a floured surface, roll out each slice to fit in 9-inch pie pan. Grease and flour the pie pans, cover with the batter 1/2 inch past the edge and press lightly.
2. Chill the molds with the dough.
3. For the filling: Beat the eggs in a large bowl, add the pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger; beat vigorously until the ingredients are perfectly combined. Add the evaporated milk little by little. * If you wish, you can do it in the electric mixer.
4. Fill the tarts with the pumpkin spice mixture.
5. Bake for 10 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 350 °. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes longer.
6. Chill the cakes on wire racks for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving, it is delicious cold.
7. Decorate with unsweetened whipped cream and cinnamon sticks. If you wish, you can make autumn leaf decorations with the leftover dough.
It may interest you:
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.