Wednesday, January 26

Haiti requests troops from the United States and the UN due to fear of chaos


Updated

“The mercenaries could destroy some infrastructure,” said the Haitian elections minister. The State Department confirmed that it had received the request

Haitians in front of the headquarters of the US embassy hoping to be granted a visa.
Haitians in front of the headquarters of the US embassy hoping to be granted a visa.EFE
  • Haiti The puzzle of the murder of Jovenel Moise adds former Colombian military and Haitian bodyguards
  • Story Assassinations: from Allende, Trujillo and Somoza to the frustrated Castro or Duque

Haiti asked the United States and the UN to send troops to protect its ports, airport and other strategic sites after the assassination of the president. Jovenel Moise. Two days after Moise was brutally murdered in an armed attack on his residence, “we think the mercenaries [a los que se acusa del crimen] they could destroy some infrastructure to create chaos in the country “, said the minister of elections, Mathias Pierre.” During a conversation with the secretary of state of the United States and the UN we made this request, “he added.

The State Department and the Pentagon confirmed that they had received a request for “security and investigation assistance” and said they were in contact with Port-au-Prince, but They did not specify whether military troops would be deployed.

A UN diplomatic source said they received the request, but that a Security Council resolution is needed to send a contingent.

Washington has already said that it will send the FBI (federal police) and other agents to Haiti as soon as possible, where the assassination left a power vacuum in the troubled and impoverished Caribbean nation.

Mercenaries

Meanwhile, Haiti is trying to determine who ordered the attack allegedly carried out by an armed squad of 28 people: 26 Colombians and two Americans of Haitian origin.

Of these, 15 Colombians and two Americans were arrested, while three Colombians were killed by the police and another eight remain at large, Haitian police said. There is some discrepancy in the numbers with reports from other official sources.

Senior officials in the Colombian army and police reported that at least 17 former Colombian military personnel are allegedly involved in the assassination.

After communicating with the Haitian Prime Minister, Claude Joseph, the Colombian President, Ivn Duque, said that his country will offer “all the collaboration”, including an intelligence mission in Haiti, to find “the material and intellectual authors of the assassination.”

For his part, Taipi said 11 of the suspects had been detained at the Taiwanese embassy complex in Port-au-Prince.

The Haitian capital, paralyzed for several days, gradually resumed its activities on Friday, with more people on the streets and public transport gradually reactivating its service, albeit under a cloak of apprehension.

People rushed to stock up on first need products in supermarkets and queuing at gas stations to buy the propane they use for cooking, in anticipation of more days of instability.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow or the day after tomorrow in the country, so I’m preparing for the bad days ahead,” he told Port-au-Prince resident Marjory.

The capital’s airport, closed after the attack, appeared to have reopened this Friday, according to information from Flightradar.

“We need to know”

In this country of 11 million inhabitants, more than half of whom are under the age of 20, everyone is wondering how a fatal attack on the head of state could have occurred.

“These are foreigners who came to the country to perpetrate this crime. We Haitians are dismayed,” declared a resident of the capital. “We need to know who is behind this, their names, their background so that justice can do its job.”

Several senior police officers, directly responsible for the security of the Haitian president, are on the tightrope and have been summoned to appear in court, announced Thursday the chief of the prosecution of Port-au-Prince, Bed-Ford Claude.

“If you are responsible for the president’s security, where were you? What did you do to avoid this fate for the president?” Asked Bed-Ford Claude.

Others even hold the possible involvement of these policemen, which increases the confusion.

“Moise was assassinated by his security agents. It was not the Colombians who assassinated him. FThey were hired by the Haitian State“Former Senator Steven Benoit said on the radio on Friday.

Deep crisis

The assassination further destabilizes the poorest country in America, ravaged by insecurity, it now lacks a president and an active parliament, while two men claim to be in command and dispute the position of prime minister.

One of Moise’s last political gestures was to appoint Ariel Henry as the new prime minister on Monday, replacing Claude Joseph. Henry had not yet taken office at the time of the murder.

Shortly after the attack, the acting Prime Minister Joseph declared a state of siege for fifteen days, granting the Executive greater powers.

While the opposition accuses Joseph of seizing powerThe UN envoy to Haiti, Helen La Lime, deemed him to be the rightful authority, as Henry has not been sworn in.

According to the criteria of

The Trust Project

Know more




www.elmundo.es

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Share
Share