6 dead, dozens wounded in shooting at July 4th parade near Chicago
Six people were killed and about 24 wounded as gunfire and chaos shattered a Fourth of July parade in Highland Park, a suburb of Chicago, and a manhunt was underway for the killer. The shooter – described by authorities as a white male with dark hair, 18 to 20 years old – is still at large, and residents were warned to shelter in place. Video from the scene shows scores of people running for cover as music continued to play minutes after the event began at 10 am local time. This is a developing story. Here’s the latest.
Akron police release footage of Jayland Walker being shot up to 60 times
Authorities on Sunday released “heartbreaking” video of the fatal shooting of Black motorist Jayland Walker in a hail of bullets minutes after police in Akron, Ohio, say he fled a traffic stop last week. The eight officers directly involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave, and the city canceled its four-day Fourth of July festival as stunned residents and city leaders await the results of an investigation into Walker’s death. The bodycam footage shows officers converging on Walker’s silver Buick at the end of a chase. Walker apparently exits the car in a ski mask, and Police Chief Stephen Mylett said it appeared that Walker reached toward his waist during a foot chase and briefly turned toward officers. They opened fire. Mylett said the medical examiner found about 60 wounds on Walker’s body, although the exact number of shots fired has not been determined.
Uvalde school police chief resigns from City Council
Pete Arredondo, the Uvalde school district’s police chief, has stepped down from his role in the City Council. The decision comes just weeks after being sworn in, following allegations that he erred in his response to the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School that left 19 students and two teachers dead. He was elected to the District 3 council position on May 7 and was sworn in on May 31, just a week after the massacre. Arredondo has been on administrative leave from the school district since June 22. Col. Steven McCraw, director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, told a state Senate hearing last month that Arredondo – the on-site commander – made “terrible decisions” as the massacre unfolded on May 24, and that the police response was an “abject failure.”
Fourth of July holiday weekend brings flight delays, cancellations
Flight delays and cancellations have become all too common this summer as air transportation struggles to get back to normal after the pandemic-era slump – and this holiday weekend was no exception. On Sunday, 4,709 US flights were delayed and 1,776 US flights were canceled, according to FlightAware. On Friday, over 7,860 US delays and more than 580 cancellations were reported. The climbing delays and cancellations arrive as US airports experience the largest crowds seen since before the COVID-19 pandemic began. More than 2.49 million passengers went through security checkpoints at US airports Friday.
Russia claims control of last major city in Ukraine’s Luhansk region
Russia claimed Sunday to have overwhelmed the last major city in Ukraine’s Luhansk province as it continues its assault on the battered nation’s eastern Donbas region. Ukraine’s General Staff of the military reported that its forces had withdrawn from Lysychansk, but President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said the fight for the city was not over. Also on Sunday, two Russian airplanes departed Bulgaria with scores of Russian diplomatic staff and their families amid a mass expulsion that has sent tensions soaring between the historically close nations, a Russian diplomat said.
Joey Chestnut wins Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest for 15th time in 16 years
An American tradition returned to its roots Monday. Joey Chestnut may have dramatically entered Monday’s Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest walking on crutches. But after another stirring performance before the Coney Island crowd, Chestnut had enough fans ready to carry him off the stage he just dominated – once again. Chestnut’s ruptured tendon injury combined with a series of personal setbacks didn’t deter the 38-year-old champion, who devoured 63 hot dogs in 10 minutes at the annual event. Despite falling short of his own record of 76 dogs eaten last year, Chestnut put on another clinic to claim the Mustard Belt, out-eating second-place finisher Geoffrey Esper (47½ hot dogs). Chestnut, who goes by “Jaws,” has now won seven in a row and 15 of the last 16 hot dog eating contests since taking down six-time defending champion Takeru Kobayashi in 2007, with his only loss from him in 2015 to Matt Stonie .
This is a compilation of stories from across the USA TODAY Network. Contributing: Associated Press.
George is Digismak’s reported cum editor with 13 years of experience in Journalism