(CNN Español) — If you have a pending immigration process, you can check your status online using the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) online tool.
To check your immigration status or petition, the first thing you should do is have your receipt number on hand that can be found on the notifications sent by USCIS. This is a unique number made up of 13 characters, three letters and 10 numbers, which the agency uses to identify and follow up on each case.
To access the USCIS tool, follow these steps:
- Enter the Web page from USCIS.
- Enter your receipt number in the box provided. Make sure you don’t include hyphens, but do include the special characters that are part of your receipt.
- Click Check Status.
The status of your immigration process will be displayed on the screen and will indicate the next steps to follow, if necessary.
Open an account with USCIS
You can also choose to To open an account to receive updates on your case automatically to your email and phone, review your case history and save receipts. To create an account you must:
- Enter your email.
- USCIS will send a confirmation email, which you must confirm by clicking on the link sent.
- Create a strong password between 8 and 64 characters, and click Submit (Submit) to continue.
- Select a two-step verification method. It can be through an application like Authy O Google Authenticator, a text message or an email.
- Once the verification method has been chosen, you will receive a code that you must enter on the website.
- USCIS will provide you with a backup code that you can use in case of emergencies. Download it as a PDF and then click Proceed (Continue).
- Select and answer five security questions. Click on Submit (Submit).
- Select the type of account you want to open, either an applicant account or a legal representative account.
- Your list will be ready to be used.
USCIS also has a alert system in Spanish that, if you enroll, will notify you when changes occur in programs such as the Deferred Action Program for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), to mention an example.
To find more specific information on certain immigration issues you can visit the site of Alerts in Spanish from USCIS, for example for the latest news on office closings, travel restrictions or when the maximum number of H-2B or H-1B visas is reached.
More on immigration:
George is Digismak’s reported cum editor with 13 years of experience in Journalism