Soy al pastor is prepared together with a marinade of dried chilies and spices that is very simple to make.
William Neuheisel / Creative Commons
Tacos are one of the most representative dishes of Mexican food. Among a wide variety, tacos al pastor are among the favorites. These tacos are traditionally made with pork, but for those who abstain from meat during Lent, tacos al pastor can also be made from soy.
The popular al pastor tacos are made with a soft corn tortilla and pork seasoned with a spice sauce and dried chili peppers, served with roasted pineapple slices, cilantro, onion, lemon and salsa, its accompaniment is also called an onion “garden”. This time we will replace red meat with soy, which will be prepared in an exquisite marinade.
To prepare some tacos al pastor with all the Mexican seasoning in a simple and inexpensive way. We share the recipe for the tacos al pastor de soya from Brenda, youtuber cook from “La cocina del rancho” in Ario de Rosales (Michoacán).
Soy tacos al pastor
- 1/2 kilo of soy
- 1 onion
- 1 pineapple
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 guajillo chiles
- 3 pasilla chili peppers
- 2 chiles morita
- 1 pinch of oregano
- 1 pinch of cumin
- 3 nails
- 8 balls of black pepper
- White vinegar
To accompany: lemon, coriander, onion and pineapple
- Hydrate the soy. In a saucepan or saucepan, boil water with garlic, half an onion and two bay leaves and a little salt. Add the water to the soybeans, stir, and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Uncover the chilies for the marinade. Boil the chilies together with a clove of garlic ¼ onion, oregano, cumin, cloves and black pepper. Use little water so that when grinding, the marinade is with a good consistency.
- Grind the chiles for the marinade. Use the water with which they boiled along with the spices, a pinch of salt, a slice of chopped pineapple and a splash of vinegar.
- Drain the soy and add the marinade. Remove the bay leaves and onion from the soybeans, add the marinade, stir, and let it rest for an hour.
- Fry the soybeans in a saucepan or casserole with hot oil.
- Make the salad. Roast pineapple slices, chop onion and cilantro.
Prepare your tacos
Serve the soy in marinade in your tortillas, add lemon juice, onion, coriander and roasted pineapple. Add your favorite sauce.
For a chile de arbol taco sauce
Ingredients: 2 tomatoes, ¼ onion, 2 morita chili peppers, 1 clove of garlic and a handful of arbol chiles
Preparation: boil the chilies, tomato, onion and garlic with a little water. Blend the ingredients with a little water (the same cooking is not used).
These soy tacos al pastor are an option to be enjoyed on any occasion. Soy is a highly nutritious and healthy alternative to meat. It contains complete protein, which contains all nine essential amino acids.
It may interest you:
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.