The best way for us to be able to test everything that the new Windows 11 offers us is to create a virtual machine where we can use it, since, as you well know, there is still no definitive version, so the errors will be more than evident. If we want to enjoy Windows 11 Insider Preview, there is no doubt that we are facing the best solution.
There is a Microsoft program to test all the new functions and changes that its next operating system is experiencing, which is called Windows 11 Insider Preview.
Here you will be able to enjoy the first steps of this new version of Windows, but the problem is that, as is logical, it has errors and it is not very convenient to have it as the main system on our computer.
For this reason, the most advisable thing is that we have our Windows 10 working normally, just as we normally do, but having Windows 11 in a virtual machine that allows us to try everything that is being incorporated from Redmond.
Install Hyper-V on Windows 10
The first thing we must do is have the Hyper-V virtualization platform on our Windows 10 operating system.
You must be the owner of the Pro version or higher of Windows, since this function is not operational in Home.
Requirements for using Hyper-V
We must be clear that computers can use Hyper-V, knowing that the minimum desirable characteristics are, a 64 bit processor that can support extension mode VM monitor (VT-c on Intel) and a 4GB minimum of RAM memory.
In addition, we must meet two other requirements such as having the virtualization technology Y Hardware Enforced Data Execution Prevention enabled in our system.
To check it, we perform the following steps:
- We write in the part where you can do such an action on the taskbar the following: Command Prompt.
- When the window appears where the icon from Command Prompt, we must press it.
- Once open, we write systeminfo.exe and press the key Enter.
- At the moment that the check has finished we will see how at the end of the whole it verifies us with a yes or a no the two parameters that we have mentioned before. If everything is positive, you will be able to move forward without problems.
Once we meet all the requirements, it is time to enable Hyper-V in our Windows 10 operating system.
You will be able to activate the hypervisor by following these steps:
- We open the Windows Control Panel by pressing the keys Windows + R and writing in the window that appears Dashboard.
- We then enter Programs and characteristics.
- Then click on Turn Windows features on or off.
- Now we must see if we have activated, within the Hyper-V folder the options Administration Tools Y Platform. Remember that these options will not appear if you have Windows 10 Home.
- At this time we must click on To accept Y Restart your computer.
Windows 10 virtual machine
To create a virtual machine from Windows 11 Insider Preview we must perform a few simple steps like these:
- Open the Start Menu and find where it says Hyper-V Manager to open the app.
- Now we go to the menu Actionwe select New and then we click Virtual machine.
- Then we click on Following.
- At this time we must put the name of the virtual machine.
- Let’s press again Following.
- Next you have to choose Generation 2 and press again Following.
- In the Start memory configuration we must put at least 4096MBin addition to checking the option Use dynamic memory for this virtual machine and, how could it be otherwise, we click on Following.
- Now we will see the drop-down menu Connection where we must select the option of switch Predetermined and then again to Following.
- Let’s click on Create a virtual hard drive. Here we must leave everything the same, except that we have to specify the storage size that we are going to use for the virtual machine. We put a value greater than 64GB.
- We mark Install an operating system from a bootable CD/DVD-ROMthen click on Reviewselect the Windows 10 ISO file and click on Following.
- Now we click on To finalize.
- As you can see we have returned to the main menu, where we must click with the right button mouse button on the virtual machine we just created to select Setting.
- Click on Security (panel out on the left) and then in the Secure Boot section we mark Enable secure boot.
- in the option Encryption Support you have to mark Enable Trusted Platform Module (this is used for the TPM to be operational).
- Then we mark Encrypt virtual machine migration traffic and statethen click on Apply.
- We are going now Processor (left panel) and put two or more cores to dedicate to the device. We must do this according to our own processor.
- It only remains to click on Apply and then in To accept.
Then it is the moment in which the virtual machine will be installed, to later have Windows 11.
Install Windows 11 on the virtual machine
The moment Microsoft releases a Windows 11 ISO, the Windows 10 installation step in the virtual machine will no longer be necessary, since we can directly install the file with the new operating system. Meanwhile, the way to have it is to have the Windows 10 virtual machine previously.
To get Windows 11 in our virtual machine we must perform the following steps.
- We open the Hyper-V Manager that we will find in the start menu.
- We right-click on the newly created machine and select Connect.
- Now click on the button Start.
- Now we click on Following and then, when we see the Windows 10 installation system, click on Install Now.
- When it asks us for the key, we must write it, and then select the version of Windows 10 that activates the key that we have put on it.
- After clicking on Followingwe accept the license agreements and click on Following.
- We select the option Custom: Install Windows only (advanced) and press Following.
- Now it’s time to select an empty drive (Drive 0) and click again on Following.
- We must follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation of Windows 10.
- Once the operating system is installed, open Setting and then Update and security.
- Then we click on Windows Insiders and then we will see how on the right side we can click on Begin.
- Now we click on Link an account and select ours, and then click on Continue.
- In the section Choose your Insider setupwe have to choose DevChannelthen click on Confirm, button that we press again to accept the terms.
- Now it’s time to click on Restart now.
- Once restarted we return to Setting and we are going to Update and security.
- In Windows Update click on Search for updates.
- As soon as all the Windows 10 updates are installed, the Windows 11 update will skip, which will be installed like any other pre-release version of Windows.
In this way we will have Windows 11 on our computer and we will be able to test it without our Windows 10, let’s say original, being affected.
We will be able to experience all the changes that Microsoft is incorporating and everything from our virtual machine.
If you want to know more, don’t miss our report with everything you need to know about Windows 11, here you will find the latest from Microsoft’s operating system: best apps, latest updates and all the news day by day of Windows 11.
George is Digismak’s reported cum editor with 13 years of experience in Journalism