Up to 1 Trimester
The Atlanta Hawks are on the road but they don’t look any worse for wear. They have jumped out to a quick 30-22 lead against the Charlotte Hornets. Atlanta has been led by point guard Trae Young, who has 11 points and two assists so far.
The Hawks and Charlotte came into this game with wins from previous games. It looks like Atlanta will be able to keep the momentum going, but Charlotte still has three-quarters of the way to right the ship.
Who is playing
Current Records: Atlanta 20-25; Charlotte 26-20
what to know
The Charlotte Hornets and Atlanta Hawks will square off in a Southeast Division clash at 7 pm ET on January 23 at Spectrum Center. If the game is anything like the Hornets’ 130-127 victory in their previous meeting in December of last year, the scorer will be kept very busy.
Charlotte took its game against the Oklahoma City Thunder last Friday with a conclusive score of 121-98. Charlotte’s success was the result of a balanced attack in which several players stepped forward, but shooting guard Terry Rozier led the charge with 24 points and nine assists along with five rebounds.
Meanwhile, the Miami Heat usually have all the answers at home, but last Friday Atlanta proved too difficult a challenge. Atlanta outscored Miami 110-108. The Hawks can attribute much of their success to shooting guard Kevin Huerter, who went 5-for-9 from center and finished with 21 points, and point guard Trae Young, who had 28 points and seven assists.
Barring any buzzer beaters, the Hornets are expected to win a close contest on Sunday. It might be worth taking a chance against the spread as they are currently on a three game ATS win streak.
The victories took Charlotte to 26-20 and Atlanta to 20-25. A couple of defensive numbers to note before kickoff: Charlotte is third-lowest in the league in points allowed per game, averaging 114.2. The Hawks have experienced some struggles of their own, as they’ve allowed opponents to shoot 46.90% from the ground on average, which is the fifth-highest shooting percentage allowed in the league. It’s possible that one of these Achilles’ heels ends up tripping up the losing team.
how to watch
- When: Sunday at 7 p.m. ET
- Where: Spectrum Center — Charlotte, North Carolina
- TV: Bally Sports SE Charlotte
- Online transmission: fuboTV (Try it free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket cost: $14.00
The Hornets are a slight 1.5-point favorite against the Hawks, based on the latest NBA odds.
Oddsmakers have moved slightly against the Hornets, as the game opened with the Hornets as the 3-point favorite.
View NBA picks for every game, including this one, from SportsLine’s advanced computer model. Get picks now.
Charlotte has won 14 of its last 23 games against Atlanta.
- December 5, 2021: Charlotte 130 vs. Atlanta 127
- Nov. 20, 2021 – Atlanta 115 vs. Charlotte 105
- April 11, 2021 – Atlanta 105 vs. Charlotte 101
- January 09, 2021: Charlotte 113 vs. Atlanta 105
- January 06, 2021 – Charlotte 102 vs. Atlanta 94
- March 09, 2020 – Atlanta 143 vs. Charlotte 138
- December 08, 2019 – Atlanta 122 vs. Charlotte 107
- February 09, 2019 – Charlotte 129 vs. Atlanta 120
- November 28, 2018 – Charlotte 108 vs. Atlanta 94
- November 25, 2018 – Atlanta 124 vs. Charlotte 123
- November 06, 2018 – Charlotte 113 vs. Atlanta 102
- March 15, 2018 – Charlotte 129 vs. Atlanta 117
- January 31, 2018: Charlotte 123 vs. Atlanta 110
- January 26, 2018: Charlotte 121 vs. Atlanta 110
- Oct. 20, 2017 – Charlotte 109 vs. Atlanta 91
- April 11, 2017 – Atlanta 103 vs. Charlotte 76
- March 20, 2017 – Charlotte 105 vs. Atlanta 90
- December 17, 2016: Charlotte 107 vs. Atlanta 99
- November 18, 2016: Charlotte 100 vs. Atlanta 96
- February 28, 2016 – Atlanta 87 vs. charlotte 76
- Jan. 13, 2016 – Charlotte 107 vs. Atlanta 84
- November 01, 2015 – Atlanta 94 vs. charlotte 92
- Oct. 30, 2015 – Atlanta 97 vs. Charlotte 94
Charlotte Injury Report
- Gordon Hayward: Out (Foot)
- Jalen McDaniels: Out (Ankle)
Atlanta Injury Report
- Bogdan Bogdanovic: Out (Knee)
George is Digismak’s reported cum editor with 13 years of experience in Journalism