Texans have juggled a thousand and one heating and cooking without power as a result of the winter storm.
Go Nakamura / Getty Images
The hospitals of Texas have reported in recent days hundreds of cases of carbon monoxide poisoningBecause the low temperatures and power outages that have affected millions of people in that state have led many to seek unconventional and dangerous sources to keep heat in their homes.
In Harris County, the most populous in Texas, the authorities have reported at least 300 cases of poisoning. A woman and a girl residing in the city of Houston also lost their lives Tuesday after the family left the car running in the garage to ward off the cold due to the lack of electricity.
Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo has said that the hundreds of intoxicated Texans in that county are just “the tip of the iceberg”And that the total number in the state is probably much higher.
“The truth of the matter is that this carbon monoxide poisoning is in many ways a disaster within a disaster,” Hidalgo said through a statement from the Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management.
Until this Thursday, almost half a million people they continued without electricity and tens of thousands more also suffered from access to basic resources such as clean water, due to the strong winter storm that has affected Texas and much of the United States since the beginning of the week.
Videos circulating on social media have seen Texans resort to inventiveness and burn everything from old furniture to their children’s wooden toys to fuel fires and get warmth.
State and local officials attribute the majority of poisonings to the use of unsuitable heating sources that are not made for indoor usesuch as barbecue grills, portable generators, or car engines.
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.