Sunday, September 26

Jarryd Hayne to be jailed for raping a woman in 2018, but claims I ‘told the truth’ | New south Wales

Jarryd Hayne, a two-time NRL player of the year, has agreed to go to jail for raping a woman in Newcastle, but has maintained that he is innocent.

Hayne, whose multi-code career included stints on the Parramatta Eels, San Francisco 49ers and Fiji rugby sevens team, was convicted Monday of two counts of sex without consent.

His victim had testified that he told Hayne that he would not have sex with him, after realizing that the taxi he had taken home to Newcastle in September 2018 was waiting outside for his departure.

Despite her “no” and “no Jarryd” protests, he became “rude, forceful and inconsiderate,” pushed her face against the pillow, ripped off her jeans and raped her, she said.

Hayne testified that the couple had not had “sex” at the request of the then 26-year-old, but, after kissing, she consented to him doing other sexual acts with her.

“I’d rather go to jail knowing that I told the truth than to be a free man living a lie,” Hayne told reporters outside of court. “It’s unfortunate, it’s disappointing, but at the end of the day they made a decision and I respect that.”

The Sydney district court jury, which heard the case again after a verdict hung in Newcastle in December, spent nearly 18 hours deliberating before rendering verdicts Monday afternoon.

They cleared Hayne of two counts of aggravated sex without consent that inflicted actual bodily harm, related to the bleeding the woman suffered during the incident.

But, by returning the guilty verdicts to two alternative counts of sex without consent, the jury found beyond a reasonable doubt that Hayne had sexually assaulted the woman.

The crown had argued that the former State of Origin player felt entitled to have sex when he went to the woman’s house, having left his friends drinking at a bucks party and also without seeing his former teammates. team in the NRL grand finale that night.

Hayne testified that the woman had become “dirty” and learned that she did not want to have sex after she found out about the taxi outside. But he wanted to “please” her and the couple kissed before he started having consensual oral and digital sex, he said.

He rejected the suggestion that the woman retreat to the bed to get away from him. “She said she didn’t want to have sex. We didn’t have sex, ”Hayne said.

Noting Hayne was facing an “unavoidable” jail sentence, Judge Helen Syme on Monday strengthened Hayne’s bail conditions to include daily police reports, a $ 50,000 bail and a ban on leaving her area. local on the central coast except for specific reasons.

That’s in addition to Hayne losing his passport, being barred from communicating with the victim, and vowing to lose $ 20,000 if he breaches bail.

Det Supt Stacey Maloney thanked the victim “amazing, brave and resilient” for going through the court process.

“Her courage, endurance and steely nature through this process has been something that investigators have worked with on a daily basis with her,” the NSW Police Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad Commander told the journalists after the verdict.

“As for the victims who come forward, I know there has been a lot of comment on this lately, but we want people to come to us, we want to hear their story. We need you to know that we believe you and that we will be on the road with you regarding this process. “

Hayne faces a sentencing hearing in Newcastle on May 6.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *