Bravo removed Jennie Nguyen from the cast of “Real Housewives of Salt Lake City” after her offensive social media posts resurfaced.
The network announced the removal on social media on Tuesday.
“Bravo has stopped filming with Jennie Nguyen and will no longer be a cast member on ‘The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City.’ We recognize that we did not take appropriate action once your offensive social media posts were brought to our attention. Going forward, we will work to improve our processes to ensure we make better informed and more thoughtful casting decisions,” Bravo said in the announcement.
Nguyen did not immediately respond to NBC News’ request for comment. NBCUniversal is the parent company of Bravo and NBC News.
During the 2020 Black Lives Matter protests, Nguyen, who is Vietnamese-American, allegedly shared images and text posts that described protesters as “BLM Thugs” and “violent gangs.” He also reposted memes in support of “White Lives Matter” as well as anti-vaccine content.
In a cartoon he republished, an elderly white woman shows a middle-aged white man the stick figure decals on his car.
“No, that’s not my family, that’s how many troublemakers I’ve hit!” says the woman in the picture.
After the posts resurfaced last week, Nguyen issued an apology on Instagram.
“I want to acknowledge and apologize for my deleted Facebook posts from 2020 that resurfaced today. At the time, I thought I was speaking out against violence, but have since learned how offensive and hurtful my words were,” she wrote in the post. . “That’s why I deactivated that account over a year ago and I’m still trying to learn about different perspectives than my own. I’m sorry for those posts and sincerely sorry for the pain they caused.”
After apologizing, she continued filming with the cast of “Real Housewives of Salt Lake City” despite calls to fire her.
Other cast members reported Nguyen for his posts. In an Instagram post, Jen Shah said she was “disappointed” by the “fake apology” Nguyen shared. Shah said she was forced to “stand up” on behalf of her husband and children, who are black.
“I am deeply offended by the racially insensitive posts and comments. It was galling to see him liking and reposting comments that mocked and showed utter apathy towards the murdered who were marching to raise awareness of the deep-seated social justice issues plaguing our country. I am equally disappointed by the bogus apology that was issued,” Shah said.
Cast member Meredith Marks alluded to a gag order on the cast in her statement in response to the posts, but promised “repercussions” for her actions.
“Since it was not entirely clear in my previous tweet and now I can speak in more depth, I am disgusted by the racist and harmful posts of my co-worker that recently surfaced,” Marks said in a statement. Twitter. “I do not endorse or support these posts in any way, shape, or form. Support and support to the communities affected and attacked by this. I am deeply disturbed and outraged by his actions. Black Lives Matter”.
George is Digismak’s reported cum editor with 13 years of experience in Journalism