Friday, September 17

Joe Root Admits England Faced With ‘Nasty Truths’ Over Offensive Tweets | England cricket team


Joe Root confirmed that England will continue to convey the message of cricket inclusion with another “moment of unity” ahead of the second Test against New Zealand starting Thursday, despite admitting that the past week has thrown up “unpleasant truths.”

Root’s team heads to the series finale under a cloud after Ollie Robinson’s suspension, pending an investigation into offensive tweets posted when he was 18 and 19. More players also face scrutiny from the Cricket Board of England and Wales for their questionable past use of social media. media platforms.

An ECB board meeting was called on Wednesday to discuss the matter and, while results are expected in the next 48 hours, England’s test captain maintains that the team will still wear anti-discrimination jerseys before the launch is made. first ball on Thursday up front. than 17,000 followers who returned to Edgbaston.

“We have had to face some unpleasant truths in the past week and there will be challenges ahead,” said Root. “But the group of players we have now is very committed to making [cricket] a better place, making it more inclusive and educating ourselves more.

“It has been an uncomfortable week for everyone. We accept that we are not perfect and we have made mistakes, as many young people have. We are going to have to face what has happened, accept it.

“But ultimately, we want to continue on this journey that we started to try to improve our sport. We will continue to do so because that is how we all feel. That doesn’t change just because of what happened. “

The ECB has pledged to take “appropriate action where necessary” after historic social media posts were unearthed from Eoin Morgan, Jos Buttler (neither of whom are part of the test team) and Jimmy Anderson, as well as from another anonymous gamer who was 15 at the time.

Root said the team has discussed the issue a lot even though the blank score following their decision to block a tie at Lord’s on Sunday means minds must quickly return to cricket. “We will continue to wear those shirts,” Root added. “We will continue to find ways to educate ourselves as players and as a group, and we will continue to find ways to improve our sport and ways to perform this summer and beyond.

“As a team we will continue talking about it because it is important, but as professionals we know we have a job to do this week. Our entire approach is to prepare for that test match and to ensure the start of the game. We have certainly used the last two days to prepare as best we could. “

Robinson’s elimination from the team after seven wickets on the 27-year-old bowler’s debut leaves a vacancy with the ball, with Olly Stone, Jack Leach and Craig Overton depending on the morning field. Two might work out if Mark Wood, who sent 34 high-speed work overs, is rested.

Meanwhile, New Zealand have lost Kane Williamson to an elbow injury and off-roader Mitchell Santer to a cut finger, with starter Tom Latham as captain and Trent Boult set to return after a late arrival on the tour. .

When asked about the storm that engulfed New Zealand opponents last week, Boult said: “I can’t speak for the other guys, but social media can be a tough world right now. In terms of our profession as athletes, you are in the spotlight nonstop. You have to be careful what you are posting I guess.

“Obviously we are leaders, role models for many children and fans around the world. There is a lot of responsibility. It’s complicated. You have to be very careful. “


www.theguardian.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share