Saturday, November 27

Kim Jong Un rejects US offer of dialogue


Updated:

Keep

The leader of North Korea, Kim Jong Un, dismissed the offers of dialogue from the United States as a “front” and accused the president’s administration Joe Biden to keep the hostile policies Against them.

The contacts between the two countries initiated under the mandate of Donald Trump They were interrupted in 2019 after the failure in Hanoi (Vietnam) of the second summit between the Republican president and the North Korean leader.

From your access to the White House, Joe Biden’s government has repeatedly offered the isolated communist regime a meeting anywhere, anytime and without preconditions.

“They have become more malicious”

Kim condemned these proposals as «Nothing but a facade to mask your disappointment and their hostile acts, and an extension of the hostile policy of previous administrations, ”according to the official Rodong Sinmun newspaper.

With Biden, “the American military threat and hostile policy towards us have not changed at all, but they have become more malicious“He said during a long speech before the Supreme People’s Assembly, the country’s one-party parliament.

North Korea, equipped with nuclear weapons, has let time pass in recent months, studying the movements of the new US administration while focusing on internal affairs. The impoverished Asian country self-imposed lockdown in early 2020 to protect itself from the coronavirus pandemic, which has further punished its economy and reduced its trade with China, its mainstay, to a minimum.

The communist regime seems to have come out of lethargy in recent weeks, in which both they and their southern neighbors have shown technological innovations in their weapons. On Wednesday, Pyongyang said it had successfully tested a hypersonic glide missile, much faster and difficult to intercept by defense systems, and previously tested long-range cruise missiles.

Armament climbing

For its part, South Korea is also allocating significant budget items to improve its military capabilities This month, it announced the first successful test of submarine-launched missiles (SLBM), a technology available in only a handful of countries, and unveiled its third submarine capable of carrying these missiles.

Resolutions of the Security Council of the UN have banned nuclear weapons and ballistic missile program promoted by Kim Jong Un in North Korea, a nation subject to numerous international sanctions as a result. The United States has condemned Pyongyang’s recent launches, but on the same Wednesday reiterated its offer for dialogue through its envoy for North Korea.

“We are firmly committed to finding a diplomatic pathway to complete the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula … That has not changed at all,” he said. Sung Kim to journalists.

“We have made several approaches to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (the official name of the country) and proposed dialogue on a wide spectrum of issues, but we have had no response. We hope to have it soon, “he added. The United Nations Security Council will meet in emergency on Thursday to analyze the situation in North Korea At the request of the United States, France and the United Kingdom, diplomatic sources told AFP.

Pyongyang shows no sign of wanting to part with its arsenal, which he considers necessary to defend himself against the United States. “The most fundamental crisis tearing apart the basic principles of international peace and stability is the abuse of power and coercion by the United States and its followers,” Kim said.

The North Korean leader showed more restrained with South Korea, whose president Moon Jae-in proposed this month at the United Nations to officially end the war between the two countries (1950-1953), ended with a truce and not a peace treaty. Kim lamented that Seoul “still follows the United States” and noted that in order to end the conflict, “mutual respect must be ensured and unjust views and double standards must be abandoned.”

Even so, he expressed his willingness to restablish communication lines between Seoul and Pyongyang early October.

See them
comments


www.abc.es

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share