Newcastle United will be looking to join their squad on loan moves this month, Steve Bruce revealed ahead of his team’s meeting with Leicester City.
Bruce oversaw a tough performance when Newcastle drew 0-0 with Liverpool in their last outing, while Leicester earned a point at Crystal Palace.
The Newcastle team have been affected by injuries and coronavirus, and captain Jamaal Lascelles and winger Allan Saint-Maximin suffered the long-term impact of the disease.
With the duo still out, Bruce confirmed that he hopes to make some temporary additions to the Newcastle squad.
” It is fair to say that the credit market is what we are seeing, but I don’t think we will be alone,” he said.
” I don’t see much being done in January because of the problems that everyone is facing and the money that all the clubs are going through. We used it very well last year, so we’ll see what’s out there. It’s always notoriously difficult to do. anyway, but it can be. ” Even more difficult with COV ID.
” There are one or two things that are bubbling, but if they happen, we will have to see them in the next week.”
Leicester is just four points behind leader Liverpool as it stands, and showed a lot of courage to come from behind and claim a share of the spoils against Manchester United and Palace.
” I think we’ve shown it in the last few seasons and that allows us to come back in games,” said defender Jonny Evans, who this week signed a new contract with the Foxes.
” Obviously the problem is that we have to stop giving teams a chance to get up front, and probably from the beginning of this season it has been a problem for us. Last year, it was a great start to the year and hopefully you can do it again. “
PLAYERS TO SEE
Newcastle United – Callum Wilson
Wilson selflessly ran the line against Liverpool, and the former Bournemouth striker is looking for his 50th goal in the PrLeaguesLeague.
Leicester City – Jamie Vardy
Leicester forward Jamie Vardy has been involved in six goals in his last sEven PrLeaguesLeague games against Newcastle, scoring five and assisting one. His two goals at St James’ Park were the first goal of the match.
OPTA KEY FACTS
• Ryan Fraser is one of three current Newcastle players to have scored at least two career goals against Leicester in the PrLeaguesLeague (also Andy Carroll and Wilson), while the winger has been involved in four goals in his last three appearances against Foxes (two goals, two assists).
• Newcastle won their last PrLeaguesLeague game on Sunday, beating Everton 2-1 in November; The Magpies have not won consecutive Sunday games in the competition since a streak of three in May 2018 (winning against Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea).
• Leicester have won their last four PrLeaguesLeague away games against Newcastle, keeping three clean sheets in this streak. Only in West Brom (five) have they won the most consecutive away games in the competition.
• Newcastle have lost their first league game in six of the past eight calendar years (1 win, 1 draw), including a 3-0 home loss to Leicester in their opener of 2020.
• Bruce has not won any of his sEven home games with Leicester in all competitions (D4 L3) – the Foxes are the only team he has met more than twice at home without ever winning in his coaching career.
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.