French ICU patients at the highest level this year
The number of people in intensive care units with Covid-19 in French hospitals has risen by 66 to 4,353, a new high in 2021, the Health Ministry reported on Saturday.
The number of new positive cases remained on a steadily increasing trend, from 35,327 to 4.25 million, following an increase of 35,088 on Wednesday.
The cumulative death toll from the virus rose by 185 to 92,167 compared to a rise of 285 on Thursday.
In a separate statement, the ministry said that by Saturday 6.14 million people had received a first injection of the Covid vaccine, representing 9.2% of the total population and 11.7% of the adult population. .
Almost a third of the French entered a month-long lockdown on Saturday as the government aims to contain the spread of the virus in the Paris region and parts of northern France.
Hello and welcome to today’s live coverage of the coronavirus pandemic with me, Helen Sullivan.
These are the key developments of the last hours:
- India reported 40,953 new coronavirus cases on Saturday, the biggest daily jump in nearly four months, and its richest state, Maharashtra, accounts for more than half of infections.
- Papua New Guinea reported an increase in coronavirus infections, highlighting the need for greater social distancing restrictions that will go into effect on Monday.
- Colombian President Iván Duque offered to receive the coronavirus vaccine developed by AstraZeneca to demonstrate its safety. following concerns about blood clotting.
- Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan tested positive for Covid-19. The prime minister had been vaccinated on Thursday.
- Denmark reported two cases of hospital staff with blood clots and brain hemorrhage after receiving the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine.
- Scientist Dr Mike Tildesley, advising the UK government, warned that international travel this summer is “extremely unlikely.” for the average British tourist.
- The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Organizing Committee announced that international spectators will not be allowed into Japan during the Olympic Games. scheduled for this summer.
- Chile set a new daily record for Covid-19 cases, leaving their hospitals on the brink of collapse.
- Greece to begin distributing free Covid-19 tests that will allow residents to test themselves and reduce pressure on the healthcare system.
- The Brazilian government has been in talks with the US about the possible importation of an excess of Covid-19 vaccines from March 13.
- Kenya’s plans to offer free Covid-19 vaccines to all diplomats based in the country, including United Nations personnel, has received criticism from local medical staff.
- France registered 35,327 new cases of coronavirus in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of positive cases to 4.25 million.
- An anti-blockade demonstration in Kassel, Germany, turned violent, and police forces deployed water cannons and used pepper spray to disperse crowds.
- The main candidate of the Congolese presidential opposition, Guy Brice Parfait Kolelas, was hospitalized for Covid-19 before Sunday’s elections.
George is Digismak’s reported cum editor with 13 years of experience in Journalism