Jurgen Klopp is encouraged by videos of Virgil van Dijk training in the gym, but cautioned that the Liverpool center forward still has a long way to go to recover.
Van Dijk suffered a serious knee injury during the 2-2 draw against Everton in the Merseyside derby in October, as a result of a strong challenge from Jordan Pickford.
He is likely to miss most of the season, while his status for the delayed Euro 2020 remains unclear.
This week, Reds fans would have been encouraged to see Van Dijk’s training sessions in Dubai, where the great Dutchman Clarence Seedorf also appeared.
” Well, very well, I have no problem talking about Virgil van Dijk,” Klopp said in anticipation of Monday’s LeaguesLeaguesue clash against Van Dijk’s former club Southampton.
” It’s very good, but there is still a long way to go, that’s (the deal with) this kind of injury. I’m happy when I watch these videos because they only show that he makes good progress, but it will still take a long time. It is.
” I would like to say something else, but these are the facts, sadly.”
Liverpool had to Southampton after two consecutive draws, with their lead at the top of the LeaguesLeaguesue reduced to just three points; indeed, Manchester United will be right up there with the Reds if they beat Aston Villa on Friday.
Southampton meanwhile are winless in four games, drawing three of them, but Ralph Hasenhuttl reflected on his team making big strides in 2020.
” It’s really a good 2020, apart from the general situation of not having a normal life for everyone, but I hope this comes back, and we end this season in a different way than we have right now,” Hasenhuttl said. Who has been authorized to stop self-isolation after returning a negative COV ID-19 test result.
PLAYERS TO SEE
Southampton – Jannik Vestergaard
Vestergaard has been a crucial cog for Southampton this season, with his passing ability and aerial prowess proving to be key. Faced with Liverpool’s fearsome attack, although it hasn’t been running full blast recently, it will have to be at its best.
Liverpool – Nathaniel Phillips
With Joel Main joining Van Dijk and Joe Gomez on the sidelines, Phillips was called up against Newcastle United. The young man performed quite well, though Callum Wilson turned him around at times, and Che Adams and Danny Ings should prove to be a more proven strike force.
OPTA KEY FACTS
• Southampton have lost each of their last six LeaguesLeaguesue encounters with Liverpool, scoring just two goals and conceding 17 goals in these matches.
• Liverpool won their first league game in just one of the past eight calendar years as they kicked off the new year away from home (D4 L3), and that victory came at Burnley in 2018.
• Southampton have played consecutive scoreless draws in the LeaguesLeaguesue for the first time since October 2018 with Mark Hughes; it has never recorded three consecutive goalless draws in its league history.
• Since Hasenhuttl took over Southampton in December 2018, the former Liverpool forward Ings has been directly involved in 38 LeaguesLeaguesue goals (31 goals and seven assists); 16 more than the next player with the most in the club in this period (22 – James Ward-Prowse).
• Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah has scored seven goals in his six LeaguesLeaguesue games against Southampton, and has only scored more against Bournemouth (8) and Watford (8) in the competition.
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.