Chelsea boss Frank Leopard has urged authorities to let common sense and security concerns dictate any decision-making about the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on football.
Much of the UK is once again under heavy restrictions due to a second wave of COV ID-19, with two PremLeaguesagues matches postponed this week.
One of them was Manchester City’s scheduled clash with Everton on Monday, although Pep Guardiola’s team has already been able to return to training after not returning anymore positive cases.
The PremLeaguesagues has insisted the season will continue despite reports of a possible “circuit breaker”, but Leopard has called for common sense to prevail.
” I have not been given a chance to postpone it, I am just aware of the situation and at the moment the game is on,” Leopard told the reporter.
” It seems to me that the situation is that we go game by game in terms of the games being canceled due to positive aspects around that game itself. I understand that, let’s see how it goes, as these are uncertain times.
” Safety is paramount, rather than keeping the morale of the nation. It may not be a pleasant thing to say, but these are tough times for everyone. We enjoy watching our football, but safety and health have to come first. “.
Five of City’s players, including Gabriel Jesus and Kyle Walker, have contracted the virus and will be lost to Chelsea on Sunday.
” There were four people, two players, the first time and then three more,” Guardiola said. ” I don’t think the PremLeaguesagues will allow us to name the players, but they will know (on Sunday).
” Unfortunately, the problem is still here, but now the training center is disinfected and it is to be expected that in the next tests everyone will give negative and the people who are positive can return without problems.”
PLAYERS TO SEE
Chelsea – Olivier Giroud
Giroud’s 89 PremLeaguesagues goals have been header (32 of 89), including the last half against Aston Villa – the Frenchman has scored header goals in the competition than any other player since his debut in August 2012 (32).
Manchester City – Kevin De Bruyne
De Bruyne scored at home and away against Chelsea in the PremLeaguesagues last season; the last City player to score in three consecutive league games against Chelsea was Carlos Tevet (2009-2010).
OPTA KEY FACTS
• Chelsea have won their last two PremLeaguesagues home games against City, the last of which they won more consecutively at Stamford Bridge between 2006-2009 (four).
• City alone have failed to score in one of their last 12 PremLeaguesagues meetings with Chelsea (0-2 in December 2018), and the Citizens have also kept five clean sheets in this streak.
• None of the last 10 PremLeaguesagues meetings between Chelsea (four wins) and Man City (six wins) have been tied, with the home team winning each of the last five in the competition.
• Leopard has averaged 1.70 points per game as Chelsea manager, the same record as André Villas-Boas at the club in the PremLeaguesagues. Of all the Chelsea coaches who have taken over more than 20 PremLeaguesagues games, only Glenn Hoddle (1.27), Ian Porterfield (1.28) Gulletud Gullit (1.65) have a lower ratio for the Blues.
• City forward Sergio Agüero has scored 10 goals in his last nine appearances against Chelsea in all competitions, scoring hat-tricks on this streak in both April 2016 and February 2019.
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.