Thursday, October 21

Marilyn Hartman, a serial stowaway, arrested

(CNN) — The ‘serial police’ Marilyn Hartman she was arrested at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport on Tuesday after leaving the residential facility where she was being electronically monitored.

The Cook County Sheriff’s Office told CNN in a statement that it was notified that he had left the facility around noon Tuesday and that electronic monitoring personnel immediately began tracking his location.

“Staff tried to contact Hartman using the phone built into the device, but Hartman did not respond,” the statement said. “Investigators from the Electronic Monitoring Unit found that his device indicated that he was traveling in the direction of O’Hare International Airport.”

As investigators headed to the airport, the sheriff’s office notified the Chicago Police Department that Hartman appeared to be heading to the airport, the statement said. Around 1:38 p.m., police were notified that Hartman was near Terminal 1.

An alarm was activated on her ankle monitoring device and she was stopped by Chicago police officers. Hartman did not enter any security areas, the sheriff’s office said.

Hartman, 69, will be returned to the Cook County jail and the sheriff’s office said it is seeking approval to indict Hartman for the crime of flight.

Hartman is scheduled to appear in court Thursday, according to booking information on the Cook County Jail website. She is currently being held without the right to bail.

A former attorney for Hartman did not immediately respond to CNN’s request for comment.

Authorities at A Safe Haven, the nonprofit home where Hartman has been residing, told WBBM, a CNN affiliate, who had no comment on how Hartman managed to escape from the residence.

WBBM broadcast an interview with Hartman two days before his latest arrest.

A trend of arrests at airports

Hartman first made national headlines in August 2014, when she was arrested at Los Angeles International Airport for successfully boarding a flight from Mineta San Jose International Airport without a ticket. She did not contest the charges and was sentenced to probation. The next day, she was detained again at the Los Angeles International Airport.

His streak continued at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. On August 14, Hartman received a warning for attempting to enter a security check without a ticket. Twelve days later, she was arrested in an airport terminal for criminal trespass. A day after that, Hartman was again seen loitering around a security checkpoint, Phoenix police said.

She was arrested in Florida in 2015. Another arrest followed at O’Hare in 2016 for violating her probation, which prohibited her from setting foot on airport property. She was sentenced to six months of house arrest at a mental health facility for violating court orders to stay away from airports, WBBM reported.

She was then arrested again at O’Hare in January 2018 after British officials detained her in London. She was charged with a misdemeanor trespassing and felony robbery after she managed to travel from Chicago to London without a passport or ticket.

In October 2019, she was arrested after she tried to go through O’Hare’s security check without a boarding pass or identification.

WBBM reported that Hartman was released from the Cook County jail and placed on home surveillance in March 2020 after being attacked at the jail, and after the coronavirus pandemic became a concern for inmates.

Reporters who have followed her arrests said that the success of her evasive maneuvers depends on her ability to blend in with the crowd as a seemingly harmless white elderly woman.

CNN’s Marlena Baldacci and Emanuella Grinberg contributed to this report.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *