Wednesday, December 8

Meghan Admits Her Assistant Provided Biography Authors With Her Knowledge | Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex


The Duchess of Sussex apologized in court for not recalling authorizing a senior aide to inform the authors of her unofficial biography and of Harry.

Meghan submitted a statement to the court saying she did not recall the emails between her and her then press secretary Jason Knauf about the book.

But now, the 40-year-old says the alleged emails regarding the unauthorized book had been forgotten.

It came when the appeals court heard that the royal couple’s former communications secretary provided information to Finding Freedom authors Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand.

Knauf said in a witness statement that the book was “routinely discussed”, that it was “discussed directly with the Duchess several times in person and via email.”

He also spoke about meeting with the authors to provide background information for the book and claimed that Meghan provided him with several informational points to share with them.

Knauf claims to have emailed Meghan’s husband, Prince Harry, about the meeting, to which the duke replied: “I totally agree that we have to be able to say that we had nothing to do with it.

“Likewise, if you give them the right background and context, it would help spread some truths.”

Meghan apologized for misleading the court on whether Knauf provided information to the authors of the book, in a witness statement released Wednesday.

She said: “I accept that Mr. Knauf provided some information to the authors of the book and that he did so with my knowledge, for a meeting that he planned with the authors in his capacity as secretary of communications. I don’t know the extent of the information he shared.

“When I approved the passage… I did not have the benefit of seeing these emails and I apologize to the court for the fact that I had not recalled these exchanges at the time. He had absolutely no desire or intention to mislead the defendant or the court. “

He added that he would have been “more than happy” to refer to the exchanges with Knauf if he had been aware of them at the time, adding that they are “a far cry from the very detailed personal information the defendant claims I wanted.” or it is allowed to put in the public domain ”.

The Duchess successfully sued the Mail on Sunday editor Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) for five articles that published parts of a “personal and private” letter sent to her father, Thomas Markle, in August 2018.

The higher court ruled that the letter was illegal and thus avoided the need for a trial, but ANL contests that decision, arguing that the case should go to trial over Meghan’s claims, including the violation of privacy and Copyright.

ANL attorney Andrew Caldecott told judges that correspondence between Meghan and Knauf shows that the Duchess suspected her father could leak the letter to reporters, the Associated Press reported.

Caldecott said the letter was “written with the public’s readers in mind” and Meghan “was happy that the public would read it if Mr. Markle leaked it.”

He cited a witness statement in which Knauf said the duchess “asked me to review the text of the letter, saying ‘obviously all I have written is with the understanding that it might leak.”

Knauf said Meghan asked him if she should address her father in the letter as “dad,” adding that “in the unfortunate event it leaked, it would touch the heartstrings.”

In her own written evidence, the duchess said she had not believed her father “would sell or leak the letter, mainly because it would not put it in a good light.”

“To be clear, I didn’t want any of that to be published and I wanted to make sure the risk of it being manipulated or misleadingly edited was minimized, should it be exploited,” he said.

The appeal hearing is scheduled to last until Thursday, with a ruling at a later date.


www.theguardian.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share