Five women working in sports media claim that Angels pitching coach Mickey Callaway sexually harassed them over a five-year period that included his tenure as Mets manager.
Callaway repeatedly made unwanted advances and sent lewd text messages, the women told Athletic. He allegedly participated in this behavior when he was a pitching coach in Cleveland, manager in New York and a member of the coaching staff in Anaheim, where he currently works, from 2015 to 2020.
One of the members of the media who made the allegations told The Athletic that Callaway’s alleged behavior was the “worst kept secret in baseball.”
MORE: Cohen Tries To Tell Mets Fans GameStop Is Not His Madoff Moment
Callaway told The Athletic: “Any relationship in which I was engaged has been consensual, and my conduct was in no way disrespectful to any of the women involved. I am married and my wife has been aware of these general allegations.”
Cleveland, the Mets, the Angels and MLB also responded to Athletic’s report.
Cleveland said it was not aware of any of the allegations so far and would conduct an internal review in consultation with MLB. The Mets said that in 2018, they investigated an alleged incident that took place before hiring Callaway as manager. They did not offer additional details. New York fired Callaway after the 2019 season when the team finished 86-76.
The Angels said they would begin an investigation with MLB, which said it “has never been notified of any allegations of sexually inappropriate behavior by Mickey Callaway.”
Among the most graphic allegations against Callaway: One of the reporters who spoke to The Athletic said he put his leg on a railing and moved his crotch close to his face during a personal interview in his first spring training with the Mets.
“I knew immediately that this is what I was dealing with,” the journalist said. “They warned me that it was gross (beforehand).”
Reporters also claimed that Callaway sent them photos of him posing shirtless.
Athletic published the women’s claims about two weeks after the Mets fired first-year general manager Jared Porter for similar actions. A former member of the media told ESPN in 2017 that Porter sent him dozens of text messages, many of them explicit, in 2016 when he was the Cubs’ director of professional scouting. ESPN said it was released with the story only after the media member gave her consent after the Mets signed Porter.
Porter admitted ESPN and Mets team president Sandy Alderson after the report was released. Alderson, who also signed Callaway, and Mets majority owner Steve Cohen decided to fire Porter on January 16.
Alderson told The New York Times in a statement Monday that “I was not aware of the conduct described in the story at the time of Mickey’s hiring or at any time during my tenure as CEO.” Alderson added that the Mets will begin a review of their “hiring processes.”
Cohen, in a separate statement to the Times, called Callaway’s alleged actions “unacceptable” and “would never be tolerated on my property.”
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.