Sunday, December 5

Mother of a victim of a morgue rapist asks for the resignation of the head of the hospital | Crime


The mother of one of the morgue rapist’s victims, David Fuller, is campaigning for the head of the hospital where Fuller serially abused corpses undetected for 12 years to resign.

Azra Kemal’s body was raped three times in July 2020 at the Tunbridge Wells Hospital morgue by Fuller, a hospital electrician, who is known to have raped at least 100 bodies between 2008 and 2010.

Nevres Kemal, a key whistleblower in the Baby P scandal in Haringey in 2007, is furious about what happened to her daughter and is demanding the resignation of Miles Scott, CEO of the Maidstone and Tunbridge NHS Trust. “Scott has to go,” he said. “That man shouldn’t wait to be kicked out, he needs to walk.”

Nevres Kemal and his daughter Azra.
Nevres Kemal and his daughter Azra. Photography: Family Brochure

In a meeting she had with Scott, she says he admitted that he was responsible for what was going on in the trust, an account backed by another hospital official present. She said: “Responsibility begins with the man at the top. He’s responsible, but he doesn’t want to lose his fancy job. “

Last week, the government gave in to calls by Kemal and others for a public inquiry into what went wrong, replacing an internal inquiry by the trust with an independent inquiry, chaired by Sir Jonathan Michael.

Kemal said: “They were pushed into a public investigation: how can an organization investigate itself about something that is so horrendous?”

He said that the problems involved were relatively straightforward. “I want to know how the hell they could let it happen, but there’s a simple answer: they didn’t check security. Why are the dead not given adequate security that is controlled? He [Fuller] I walked into the morgue thousands of times, that obviously should have raised alarms. “

Kemal is fed up with her experience 14 years ago in Haringey, when as a social worker she warned the council and the government that Baby P was not being adequately protected, six months before her death. Rather than act on his concerns, the council issued a court order against Kemal forbidding him to speak about childcare.

“I no longer trust any system after the Baby P debacle,” he said. “It’s always the same with every damn investigation: either you have to kick people out or it becomes so obvious that they just have to leave.”

She added: “It doesn’t matter what Sir Jonathan or Sir says. I’ll call Scott to leave. I’ll do it with a megaphone. “

Kemal, supported by the Center for Women’s Justice, is determined that the views of the victims’ families be the main focus of the investigation. “The ordinary voices of the victims’ families are not heard and that has to change.”

He also wants sentences for necrophilia increased from the current maximum of two years to a minimum of 10 years in jail.

The extent of Fuller’s abuse only emerged earlier this month after he pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting and murdering Wendy Knell and Caroline Pierce in Tunbridge Wells in 1987.

Kemal never uses the Fuller name. “I call it ‘insignificant’ because I don’t want to call it by its name.” He was reading about his trial while traveling home on October 9, the day the police told him that Azra’s body had been raped. “I was reading about the murders in bed on the train, and in a couple of hours the insignificant had entered my life.”

Azra, who worked for Sky News and was about to train as a lawyer, died in July last year after falling through a gap in a highway bridge over the Medway while fleeing from a burning car.

The October visit by two female officers reminded Kemal that he was informed of his daughter’s death. When told that Azra had been raped three times in the morgue, Kemal said that “all hell broke loose, I cannot describe the rage I felt.”

They informed her that the first assault occurred hours before she went to see her daughter in the morgue. “I was not looking for peace and now I know why,” he said.

Kemal, who spoke on what would have been Azra’s 26th birthday, said her daughter would have wanted her to speak. “She never kept her mouth shut, so I am determined to fight for Azra. People don’t like to talk about death, much less raping the dead, because it takes advantage of people’s fears. But I have to speak ”.

She added: “I may be seen as a nobody, but I am Azra’s mother and that is someone. The proudest thing in my life was being Azra’s mother. “

The Maidstone and Tunbridge NHS Trust referred to a statement issued by Scott earlier this month in which he apologized to the families of the Fuller victims and said he was “determined to see if there are lessons to be learned or systems to improve.”


www.theguardian.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share