Newcastle United have confirmed the capture of Bruno Guimaraes from Lyon on a £33 million ($44m) deal, with the Brazil international the latest major signing by the Magpies under Eddie Howe’s watch.
The midfielder, who claimed Olympic gold as a member of the Selecao’s squad at Tokyo 2020 last year, arrives at St James’ Park as arguably the flagship purchase of their January transfer window so far, as the second-most expensive player in club history.
The 24-year-old represents another major buy on Tyneside as Howe continues to build his squad following last autumn’s takeover, with an eye to escaping a hotly-contested relegation battle at the wrong end of the Premier League table.
What was said in Guimaraes announcement by Newcastle?
Magpies boss Howe has told the club’s official website: “Bruno is a hugely exciting talent and has been one of our primary targets so I’m delighted to secure him. He strengthens the group immediately ready for the challenge ahead.
MORE: Every Premier League team’s next match
“He has been one of the standout performers in France and is a full international for Brazil so I have no doubt our supporters will really enjoy watching him. We look forward to welcoming him to the club on his return from international duty.”
🇧🇷 𝗕𝗥𝗨𝗡𝗢 🇧🇷
Newcastle United are thrilled to announce the signing of Bruno Guimarães from Olympique Lyonnais on a four-and-a-half year deal.
good vindo, @brunoog97!
— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) January 30, 2022
What does Guimaraes bring to Newcastle?
Having arrived in Europe in 2020 after a prolific run of success in his home country with Athletico Paranaense, the Brazilian has continued to grow in stature, helping Lyon to qualify for the Europa League in this first campaign on the continent.
MORE: Guimaraes appears for Brazil vs. Ecuador
He has been another key figure for the club this term, even has they have found themselves locked in a mid-table holding pattern, with his performances among the more eye-catching among his team-mates.
Such overall form has however seen him frustrated, with the player indicating that he felt his creativity was trapped in the top flight of French football – and while a move to a club in a less precarious position might have been preferable, the lure of Premier League football is something he will clearly relish.
Will Newcastle sign anyone else?
Having made former loanee Joe Willock their only major capture of the pre-season last year, the influx of funds from the club’s takeover has allowed the Magpies to break open the chequebook, bringing Atletico Madrid’s Kieran Trippier and Burnley’s Chris Wood on board since.
MORE: Newcastle winter transfer rumor roundup
Guimaraes’ arrival continues to see the club continue their reshuffle, and represents another major target ticked off for Howe after several eluded Newcastle’s interest.
Even with their current spending spree though, further names could yet come through the door before the January transfer window slams shut.
Who else was involved?
Other Premier League clubs were reportedly involved, most jumping in once the Newcastle rumors first sprang up, jolted by the surprisingly low transfer value. Arsenal was the side most heavily connected to Guimaraes other than Newcastle, but ultimately the Gunners never got seriously involved.
That caused Lyon to push back publicly on reports that they had agreed to a deal with the Magpies, but ultimately Newcastle was the preferred destination.
“Olympique Lyonnais categorically denies the false news spread by a number of outlets reporting an agreement between Newcastle and OL for the transfer of Brazilian international midfielder Bruno Guimarães,” the club announced in a statement on January 26. Just four days later, the deal was announced despite the hiccup.
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.