Thursday, October 28

Only half of the hospitality businesses receive aid after a year of pandemic


Attached protest posters from Alicante.

Attached protest posters from Alicante.
PILAR CORTÉS

Only half of the business hoteliers of Alicante receives some kind of help after a year of pandemic and six out of ten establishments state thate with that money they barely cover 2% of the expenses accumulated in this time. This is clear from a survey among 134 locals, 67% catering and the rest (33%) leisure in the city of Alicante carried out by the Business Coordinator of the Valencian Community. Yesterday, the group continued its acts of protest demanding the opening of the interior of the bars and the extension of the closing hours until curfew or at least until 20 hours, at the same time as trade; And he did it with a posting of posters in the surroundings of Castaños, the Old Town and the wood route with the slogan “That way there is no one to open, there is no one to resist here, enough injustices.”

According to the survey, the majority of hoteliers with a terrace who decided not to install their tables and chairs on the street on Monday Despite the permission of the Generalitat to mount outdoor tables at 75% capacity until 6:00 p.m., it will wait for the total opening of the sector to resume activity. The Hospitality and Leisure Business Coordinator demands that the terraces be used at 100% of their capacity with a safety distance (1.5 meters between tables, as a Health brand) and that there is no need to wait for the sector meeting on Tuesday to extend the hours and open the interior of the premises.

The president of the group, Lalo Díez, stressed yesterday that the current restrictions prevent opening more than half of the businesses since it is “unsustainable for a businessman who pays the bills at the beginning of the month to put up with this situation.”

An innkeeper measuring the distance between tables. PILAR CORTÉS


This data is reflected in the survey carried out by the Coordinator, according to which 39.5% of the stores opened on Monday, all with a terrace. On the other hand, 60% did not, 40.3% of them despite having a nightstand, while the remaining 20% ​​that were consulted lacks space abroad and therefore has banned the activity since interiors are still prohibited as an anticovid measure. Of those that have a terrace and are still closed, 11% answered that it will open the weekend since the perimeter closure of municipalities with more than 50,000 inhabitants has declined and there will be greater mobility, but 88% replied that it will not open for now. Of them, 52% are clear that they will not resume business until they can reopen the interiors.

Regarding the box that businesses with a terrace are doing since the reopening of last Monday, the Coordinator affirms that 48% does not reach 40 euros, and 33% between 50 and 200 euros, for 11% between 250 and 500 euros. To the question of how much they would need to bill per day to be profitable for them to remain open, 35.48% of those surveyed answered that between 500 and 1,000 euros; by 33.8% who said between 300 and 500 euros; and 13.7% who could maintain their business with less than 300 euros per day of cash. 30% will be able to endure with the premises open in the current conditions for a week; another 30% a month; and 20% two weeks.

The Coordinator also asked the premises that do not have a terrace how much they will be able to resist unopened, and of them 45% answered that one week; 30% one month and 7% 15 days. Regarding the volume of losses that they drag since the pandemic began, 30% answered that between 20,000 and 40,000 euros; 21% between 40,000 and 80,000 euros; 14% between 10,000 and 20,000 euros; and 17% between 100,000 and 150,000 euros. Only 1% say they have lost less than 5,000 euros.

The hoteliers recall that the epidemiological situation has dropped below 100 infections per 100,000 inhabitants and they request to be able to open inside with a 50 percent reduction in capacity and complying with distance, masks and «with the sanitary protocol that must be continue ”, Díez concluded.


www.informacion.es

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share