The New England Patriots missed the playoffs for the first time since 2008 last season. Those two seasons had something in common: The Patriots didn’t have Tom Brady in both.
With Brady now in Tampa Bay with the Buccaneers, the Patriots had their first taste of quarterback problems in nearly two decades. Now they are looking to solve the problem that the team has in that position and get back on track in 2021.
Of course, it’s worth noting that the Patriots were hit hard by COVID-related exclusion options last year, so getting some of those players back, including Dont’a Hightower, will be huge for the team. They’ve also made countless additions to what was previously a weaker-looking roster in free agency, so they should improve their chances of returning to the playoffs.
However, until they can solve the quarterback puzzle, the Patriots’ roof will be limited.
Here’s a look at the Patriots’ picks in the 2021 NFL Draft:
MOST DRAFT OF THE NFL: Complete 7-round simulation | Big Top 100 board
Patriots draft picks 2021: when does New England pick?
- Round 1, Pick No. 15
- Round 2, Pick No. 46
- Round 3, Pick No. 96
- Round 4, Pick No. 120
- Round 4, Pick No. 122
- Round 4, Pick No. 139
- Round 5, Pick No. 177
- Round 6, Pick No. 188
- Round 6, Pick No. 197
- Round 7, Pick No. 242
2021 Patriots NFL Draft Order
|3||13 (election lost)|
|3||33 (Compensatory selection)|
|4||17 (from Cardinals to Texans)|
|4||34 (Compensatory selection)|
|5||33 (Compensatory selection)|
|6||4 (of jeans)|
MORE: Read the latest NFL Draft news at SN Draft Headquarters
NFL Patriots Draft Needs
- Attack player: Can the Patriots really trust Cam Newton and Jarrett Stidham to lead the team to the playoffs? Robert Kraft spoke highly of them recently, but the team could still look for improvement in the 2021 NFL Draft. If they can’t get a top five quarterback, maybe they’ll consider Kyle Trask or Kellen Mond in Round 2. .
- The wide receiver: The Patriots signed Nelson Agholor and Kendrick Bourne this offseason, but they still need a true No. 1 receiver for their offense. There are plenty of options for you to consider early and if you’re lucky, Jaylen Waddle may still be on the board with the 15th pick.
- Defensive tackle: Losing Adam Butler to the Dolphins in free agency took away one of New England’s best inside pass backs. They should look to add another rotational runner to pair with stuffers like Lawrence Guy and Davon Godchaux.
- Edge accelerator: Matt Judon was a good signing for New England, but they need to add some depth behind him and Chase Winovich if they want to have a better passing run.
- Cornerback: This is a position of strength for the Patriots, but Stephon Gilmore and JC Jackson have one year left in their deals. The team should add some depth to the position should one or both decide to leave in 2022.
2021 Draft Mock Patriots
Here are the latest 2021 NFL Draft projections for the Patriots, based on Vinnie Iyer’s seven-round mock draft:
|1||fifteen||Micah Parsons||LB||Penn State|
|4||17||Kylin hill||RB||Mississippi State|
|4||3. 4||Jaelon darden||WR||North texas|
|5||33||Kellen mond||QB||Texas A&M|
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.