On Wednesday, the 2021 IIHF Women’s World Championship was canceled after the province of Nova Scotia did not feel comfortable hosting it following a surge in COVID-19 cases.
The news came unexpected after the province’s medical director of health, Dr. Robert Strang, said a day earlier that everything was up and running. According to Hockey Canada, protocols were put in place to keep players and staff out of the public during the event that will take place May 6-16 in Halifax and Truro.
While everyone understands the desire to keep Nova Scotians safe from COVID-19 (the province reported an increase in cases), the move left players from the 10 nations prepared to compete heartbroken. . On Thursday, several of them took to social media.
Cancellation of the Women’s World Championship: Why? Whats Next?
“We were supposed to see our roster today,” said Canadian forward Blayre Turnbull, a native of Nova Scotia. “The other teams were supposed to come to Halifax. I was so excited for them to experience what it’s like to play hockey in Nova Scotia, to feel the pride of the people here, but instead we’re packing to go home to where we are once again waiting for answers on what follows. “
I am completely disappointed with the decision of the province of Nova Scotia to cancel WWC 2021.
The health and safety of people in Nova Scotia has always been our number one priority. To ensure this, Hockey Canada, our medical staff and the IIHF implemented these protocols: pic.twitter.com/NzrpnIbEV1
– Blayre Turnbull (@ katbt617) April 22, 2021
United States Captain Kendall Coyne Schofield tweeted a statement Thursday night. The team was scheduled to travel by bus to Halifax on Thursday.
“We are all devastated. Devastated for many reasons,” he wrote. “But learning that there was no contingency plan and that the IIHF is allowing 250 of the best players in the world to go home today with ‘we’re looking for new dates’ – it’s just unacceptable.”
Coyne Schofield called for more transparency and responses, and asked why the tournament didn’t move like the U18 Men’s World Championship, in which host USA Hockey moved it from Michigan to Texas.
“Like many of us, I am tired of saying this … but even more tired of feeling it: women’s hockey, once again, deserves more and better.” “We deserve a World Championship before the end of this hockey season – 739 days have passed since the last.” (The 2020 edition was canceled due to the pandemic.)
Canadian defender Sarah Nurse also posted a reaction to the news, saying: “I am beyond frustrated.”
I am so sad. The protocols, time and energy invested in having our first World Championship in over 2 years … completely eliminated (the day before the team arrived) without discussion. We are a very resilient group and we have proven it time and time again, but I am beyond frustrated. https://t.co/lO7cFNkmWr
– Sarah Nurse (@ nursey16) April 22, 2021
Forward Jill Saulnier, who is also a Halifax native, posted her thoughts on Instagram, which included repeatedly stating the protocols carried out and how the safety of the province was of the utmost importance.
“Today I woke up with a hole in my stomach. I wish it was because of the nerves on match day, but it was not,” he began, before concluding: “I love this province, but I am very disappointed by the decision to steal. this dream “.
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.