Prince Andrew Asks US Judge To Dismiss Sexual Abuse Lawsuit | Prince Andrew
Prince Andrew asked an American judge to dismiss Virginia Giuffre’s civil lawsuit accusing him of sexually abusing her when she was 17 years old.
In a filing with the United States district court in Manhattan on Friday, the Duke of York said the case should be dismissed because Giuffre did not file a claim justifying redress.
He also said that if the dismissal was not granted, Giuffre should provide a “more definitive statement” of his allegations.
Giuffre’s lawyers did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Giuffre, 38, who is one of Jeffrey Epstein’s most prominent accusers, sued Andrew for unspecified damages in August.
She accused him of forcing her to have sex when she was a minor at the London home of Ghislaine Maxwell, a partner of Epstein, the late financier and registered sex offender, more than two decades ago.
Giuffre also accused Andrew of abusing her at Epstein’s Manhattan mansion and on one of Epstein’s private islands in the US Virgin Islands.
Andrew, 61, a former friend of Epstein, has not been charged with a crime and has “categorically” denied Giuffre’s claims.
The prince, who is also the second son of Queen Elizabeth, resigned from many royal duties and lost the support of charities and organizations after a disastrous interview with the BBC in November 2019 in which he did not appear to sympathize with the victims of Epstein.
Andrew’s filings included a 2009 settlement agreement between Giuffre and Epstein, which was filed under seal.
At a hearing last month, Prince Andrew Brettler’s lawyer told US District Judge Lewis Kaplan, who is overseeing the Giuffre case, that he believed the settlement agreement “absolved our client of all responsibility.”
David Boies, one of Giuffre’s lawyers, has said that he considers the settlement “irrelevant” to Giuffre’s case.
The next hearing is scheduled for November 3.
Giuffre was separately sued for $ 20 million Thursday for allegedly defaming an artist on Twitter who said she brought women to Epstein, but denied being a recruiter.
The artist, Rina Oh Amen, filed a lawsuit over tweets that included that she “obtained and participated in child abuse.” Amen called the tweets “maliciously false” and said Epstein also abused her.
Epstein committed suicide at age 66 in a Manhattan jail in August 2019 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges.
Maxwell, 59, has pleaded not guilty to sex trafficking and other charges for allegedly helping recruit and groom underage girls for abuse by Epstein between 1994 and 2004. His trial begins Nov. 29.