Prince Andrew’s lawyers asked a New York judge on Friday to dismiss a lawsuit accusing the prince of sexually abusing an American when he was 17, saying the prince “never sexually abused or assaulted” the plaintiff.
In documents filed in federal court in Manhattan, an attorney for Andrew said the plaintiff, Virginia Giuffre, may well be a victim of sexual abuse at the hands of financier Jeffrey Epstein.
However, without diminishing the damage suffered as a result of Epstein’s alleged misconduct, Prince Andrew never sexually abused or assaulted Giuffre. He unequivocally denies Giuffre’s false accusations against him, ”according to arguments signed by attorney Andrew Brettler.
Brettler asked that the lawsuit be dismissed or that Giuffre’s attorneys be required to resubmit the lawsuit with a more definitive statement of their allegations.
“Accusing a member of the world’s best-known royal family of gross misconduct has helped Giuffre create a media frenzy online and in the traditional press. It is regrettable, but undeniable, that sensationalism and innuendo have prevailed over the truth, ”the document says.
“Giuffre has initiated this baseless lawsuit against Prince Andrew to secure another payday at his expense and at the expense of those closest to him. Epstein’s abuse of Giuffre does not justify his public campaign against Prince Andrew, ”the written arguments read.
The petition also challenged a temporary New York state law that has since expired and allows survivors of childhood sexual abuse to sue their alleged abusers no matter how long it has been.
Giuffre claimed in his August lawsuit that the prince abused her multiple times in 2001. Andrew has said even before court papers were presented on Friday that he never had sex with her.
The Associated Press does not typically identify people who claim to be victims of sexual assault unless they choose to come forward publicly, as Giuffre has done.
A lawyer for Giuffre, Sigrid McCawley, called Andrew’s request to dismiss the lawsuit “outrageous” and credited Giuffre with helping to reveal Epstein’s alleged sex trafficking that they say Andrew participated in.
On the issue of money, McCawley said that “the only party in this litigation that uses the money to their advantage is Prince Andrew.”
Brettler, who has called the lawsuit “unfounded,” had included in the arguments a copy of a 2009 settlement agreement that he believes protects his client from being sued.
According to arguments on behalf of Andrew, Giuffre’s 2009 settlement on the sex trafficking and sexual abuse claims against Epstein included a blanket release of all claims against him and many other individuals and entities.
“To avoid being drawn into future legal disputes, Epstein negotiated this comprehensive statement, insisting that it cover each and every person Giuffre identified as possible targets in future lawsuits, regardless of the merit, or lack thereof, of such claims. ”Said the newspapers.
The pages of the agreement reached between Giuffre and Epstein were crossed out when they were included in Friday’s presentation as “Exhibit A”. The financier was found dead at the age of 66 in his cell in 2019 while awaiting a trial for sex trafficking in a federal jail in New York. His death was declared suicide.
Earlier this week, Brettler said in a written submission to the judge that the settlement “releases Prince Andrew and others from any alleged liability arising from the claims that Ms. Giuffre asserted against Prince Andrew here.”
When he requested that the documents be filed sealed, Brettler said that neither he nor Giuffre’s attorneys believed it was necessary to keep the 2009 settlement agreement secret, except for the fact that it is sealed in other civil litigation in federal court in Washington. Manhattan.
A hearing on the case is scheduled for next week.
George is Digismak’s reported cum editor with 13 years of experience in Journalism