Sunday, June 20

South Yorkshire Police Agree to Payments for Hillsborough ‘Cover-Up’ | Hillsborough disaster


South Yorkshire Police struck a settlement with more than 600 people to compensate them for the bogus police campaign that sought to avoid responsibility for the 1989 Hillsborough disaster and blame the victims instead, which grieving families have always said. it was a cover-up.

The force will pay compensation to grieving families whose relatives were among the 96 men, women and children illegally murdered in Hillsborough, and to disaster survivors, for the additional trauma and psychiatric damage caused by the police campaign.

The financial reward is for psychiatric injuries suffered by families and survivors, and to pay for treatment or counseling. The civil claims, alleging embezzlement in a public office, were first made in September 2015, during new investigations into how the 96 people died.

The jury of the investigations completely rejected the case of the South Yorkshire Police, which came forward again, that the people who were at the Hillsborough stadium of Sheffield Wednesday to support Liverpool in the FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest they had caused the disaster by being drunk and other bad behavior.

The jury found that no behavior by Liverpool supporters contributed to the dangerous situation on the ground, and that all 96 were illegally killed due to gross negligence on the part of the South Yorkshire police officer in command of the party, Ch Supt David Duckenfield. .

South Yorkshire Police previously agreed in November 1989 to settle compensation claims for bereaved families and some of those injured in the disaster, which amounted to £ 19.8 million, according to the 2012 Hillsborough independent panel report.

Sheffield Wednesday and the club’s stadium engineers, Eastwood & Partners, contributed £ 1.5 million each, and Sheffield City Council, the ground safety authority, contributed £ 1 million.

Attorneys who have acted on behalf of family members and survivors in the new claims for psychiatric damages described the police campaign in the aftermath of the disaster as “one of the largest and most shameful cover-ups of a police force in history.”

In a statement, they said: “Through this civil malfeasance lawsuit in a public office, 601 victims sought justice and accountability for the deliberate, orchestrated and completely dishonest police cover-up that suppressed the truth about police responsibility, and blamed football fans for the horrific events that unfolded at Hillsborough Stadium on April 15, 1989.

“Ninety-six Liverpool supporters were illegally killed as a result of police failures that day, and many others suffered physical and psychological harm.

“The anguish and anguish caused by the loss of life, and the injuries inflicted on those who survived, were significantly compounded by the lies told and the cover-up that followed. As a result of the cover-up, which lasted for almost 30 years, the victims, both the relatives and the survivors, their families and loved ones, suffered additional psychiatric damage. No amount of money can compensate them for the ordeal they have endured, but this agreement recognizes both the cover-up and its impact on each of the victims. “

The families have been unable to publicly mention the deal, which was agreed to in late April, while the prosecution of two former South Yorkshire police officers and the then-attorney for the force was still ongoing, accused of perverting the course of the public justice to amend police statements after the disaster.

The three defendants were formally acquitted last week after the judge, Judge William Davis, stopped the trial on the grounds that the official public inquiry by Lord Justice Taylor, to which the amended statements were sent, did not it was a “public justice course.” ”.

All of the defendants have pleaded not guilty and, since their acquittal, two of their lawyers have publicly said that there was no police cover-up after the disaster. Crown Prosecution Service attorney Sarah Whitehouse QC also angered the families by apparently downplaying their annual fight for recognition that there was a cover-up. Whitehouse said in court that there had always been a “whirlwind of rumors” about a cover-up.

However, the South Yorkshire police were settling the allegations of public misappropriation, which alleged a cover-up, while the trial was taking place.

South Yorkshire Police have been contacted for comment.


www.theguardian.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *