Thursday, April 15

Southampton’s Nathan Redmond Seals Spectacular Comeback Over Burnley | Premier league

For a split second or two, Blur’s song 2 blared out of the speakers, but it was a false alarm. James Ward-Prowse had hit the crossbar with a violent blow, but the ball had not crossed the line. Southampton went flat, but not for long and five minutes later the scoring music played once more, for the third time as Nathan Redmond completed a heartwarming comeback in a scorching game that escaped Burnley’s seemingly comfortable grip. Ralph Hasenhüttl ran down the touchline delighted and substitute Che Adams should have put the game out of question, but he fired wide in injury time.

Before the final whistle sounded, Fraser Forster made a pair of brilliant saves to deny Chris Wood. He had opened the scoring from the penalty spot, but that was a small footnote when Redmond struck after Nick Pope denied Danny Ings, climbing to his left to save after diving to his right moments earlier to deny the dazzling. Stuart Armstrong as the Saints searched for a winner.

For Sean Dyche, whose team gave up a two-goal lead, this is a devouring loss and one that leaves Burnley with work to do to secure his Premier League status for the next eight games.

Southampton planned to pick up where it left off before the international break having booked its place in an FA Cup semi-final to be played against 4,000 locals at Wembley. In the end, that’s what happened, with Redmond, man of the match that afternoon, completing an extraordinary comeback from Southampton after Burnley took a two-goal lead in 28 minutes, courtesy of Wood and a sweet first shot from Matej Vydra. .

Matej Vydra is congratulated after putting Burnley 2-0 up
Matej Vydra is congratulated for putting Burnley 2-0 up. Photograph: Andrew Boyers / AP

Burnley took the lead after Kyle Walker-Peters was stopped for a foul on Erik Pieters, Wood dispatched the penalty smoothly after Andre Marriner visited the court monitor to inspect the challenge. Woods’ easy approach paid off when Burnley doubled his lead. Ben Mee sent the ball towards Wood, who beat Jan Bednarek with a header and Vydra thundered on his shot.

Burnley had hurt Southampton, but at halftime the tone of the game had changed and only a panic headed punt from James Tarkowski prevented Ibrahima Diallo from finding the top corner on the brink of halftime. Dyche was already cursing after his team relaxed, allowing the hosts to feast on a couple of inconvenient errors from Mee, otherwise superb on defense.

First, Ings’ deft touch on the edge of the box eliminated Mee and presented Armstrong with an attractive platform to enter, before the forward showed his own teeth in front of goal on his return from a knee tendon injury. hamstrings, setting the ball home after Mee misinterpreted. Walker-Peters pass to the right of Southampton. Between the two goals, Burnley had lost Pieters through injury, replaced by Charlie Taylor.

The Fiver: sign up and receive our daily soccer email

After the break, Pope and Forster took turns playing the hero role in a devastating showdown, with backup Taylor clearing the line as Redmond took on Theo Walcott, lurking in the six-yard area. But after Ward-Prowse refused, it was up to Redmond to seal the victory.

style="display:block" data-ad-client="ca-pub-3066188993566428" data-ad-slot="4073357244" data-ad-format="auto" data-full-width-responsive="true">

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *