Like the Small children, our pets they spend the day surrounded by dangers that threaten your health. Cables, plugs, medications, steps? Although we usually try to keep all of these things out of reach, there are Another not-so-obvious danger that we often overlook: the plants.
This is an especially great threat to dogs. These animals love to play on their daily walks outdoors and it is not surprising to see them eating herbs, a natural way to purge, for the gardens and fields. This habit can become a serious problem if you ingest one of the toxic plants which we list below:
Are some of the most common plants in gardens, but they are also the most dangerous. The animals to ingest some of their leaves or flowers they may suffer from diarrhea, vomiting, tremors or general malaise.
It also has a high risk for our animals. If our pets ingest marijuana they will feel disoriented, they will have a lack of coordination, vomiting, diarrhea, drooling and in an extreme case they can suffer seizures and go into a coma.
3. Aloe vera
Although it has many benefits for human health, for pets it is the opposite. It is best to keep out of reach of our Dogs and cats this plant that is toxic to both.
Its ingestion can cause vomiting, spasms, depression and changes in the color of urine.
The leaves, the fruits and the seeds they are especially poisonous to our animals. The symptoms caused by this Christmas plant depend on the amount of intake. If an animal eats two of its fruits (something minimal) it would have severe gastrointestinal disorders such as abdominal pain, diarrhea or vomiting.
However, a higher dose could lead to dehydration, shock, and even death.
A very typical plant on the facades of houses but one that for our dogs and cats is especially toxic in all its parts, especially in its fruits. Direct contact with ivy can cause dermatitis with skin irritations and rashes due to the hairs that cover the plant and the juice inside. The symptoms if ingested are much worse: gastrointestinal disorders, fever, decreased heart rate, muscle spasms, or even coma. In very extreme cases, death can be caused by asphyxia with respiratory arrest.
The bulbs are especially dangerous for our pets. Direct contact with the juice they give off can cause skin irritation, and ingesting any of its parts causes diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain and inflammation.
This plant, the Rhododendron, is one of the most toxic for both dogs and cats. Its most dangerous parts are its flowers and its leaves. A small intake of azalea causes hallucinogenic effects in animals. A larger dose causes: burning in the mouth, alterations of the central nervous system, muscle weakness, gastrointestinal disorders, hypertension, shortness of breath, coma and in extreme cases the death by suffocation. The best thing you can do if you see that your pet ingests an azalea is to go directly to the vet.
There are many reasons why animals can end nibbling one of these plants that we have at home or in the garden: For curiosity, stress, purging or just plain boredom.
Although there are several options to prevent our Dogs and cats end up with one of these plants in their mouth (avoid them, teach them not to touch them or put them out of their reach), the best we can do to avoid unnecessary scares is not to take your eye off them.
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.