Photo: TikTok/@danielleshap / Courtesy
Danielle Shapiro, 24, wanted to make the most of the $50 he spent on a all-you-can-eat sushi buffet at Sushi Restaurant 85 en Mountain View, Calif., last month.
However, after indulging in a huge taste of food, including 32 sushi rolls, did not feel quite well, so he suspected that perhaps he had crossed the limits, and the doctors confirmed it.
After the binge, Shapiro was rushed to the emergency room with severe stomach pains.. That’s where he was diagnosed with gastroesophageal reflux disease, commonly known as acid reflux.
Shapiro shared his experience in a TikTok on December 23, showing the mountains of food she consumed in a short time and the subsequent trip to the hospital that left her with IVs in her arms.
Since then, his warning to sushi lovers has gone viral with more than 11.4 million views.
“All you can eat sushi gone wrong…” he captioned a snapshot. In a video shared on December 22, he elaborated on his experience.
“I am a huge fan of sushi. I like to eat it a couple times a month if I’m lucky,” Shapiro said, adding that she had planned a Japanese dinner trip with a friend. “We were both looking forward to the ‘all you can eat sushi experience‘”.
“Our dinner lasted about two hours because we were so full that we had to take breaks,” she added. It started with miso soup, four gyozas and jalapenos. He then moved on to eight green dragon rolls, eight snow rolls, eight California rolls, eight wakame rolls, and one serving of edamame.
Shapiro revealed what happened after his monstrous meal. “Immediately after dinner we were so full that we had to sit in my car for about 30 minutes before driving home,” she said. “My stomach felt very firm from all the sushi and probably the rice that expanded in my stomach.”
He went to his partner’s house to try to sleep. “That night I went to sleep at my boyfriend’s house and I had the worst stomach ache, but I didn’t think much about it since I had eaten a lot! I’m not a morning person so when I woke up around 6am the next day I knew something was wrong,” she said.
He added: “My stomach and chest were in severe pain and it was difficult to breathe deeply.” Her boyfriend and grandmother reportedly took her to the hospital, where she was diagnosed with acid reflux and given medication to ease her pain.
People experience this condition when stomach acid backs up into the esophagus; Acid reflux is extremely common and can happen to virtually anyone, with around 60 million Americans experiencing symptoms.
Symptoms include heartburn, chest pain, regurgitation of sour foods or liquids, and difficulty swallowing.
After the treatment, Shapiro admitted that it took him several days to recover and feel normal again.
Despite her trauma, she won’t give up her favorite dish. “I will definitely eat sushi again! This experience has not ruined my sushi nor the “eat all you can” experience. I learned that next time I need to listen to my body and take things more slowly.”
Photos: Cats take a blender “hostage” and its owners can’t unpack it since Black Friday
· International Sushi Day: Is it really healthy?
· The video showing restaurant workers hiding to eat that has gone viral
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.