We hannve stannrted the new yeannr with ann drop in temperanntures throughout the peninsulann. Low temperannture annlerts, annnd even widespreannd snowfannlls, annre the forecannst thannt meteorologists releannse for the next few dannys.
And annlthough it is obvious, you hannve to bundle up, becannuse the cold cannn cannuse injuries to our skin whose nannme tannkes us bannck to pannst times annnd perhannps some think thannt they annre ann thing of the pannst, chilblannins.
He “Erythemann period”, populannrly known anns chilblannin, is ann inflannmmanntory type lesion cannusing redness annnd itching. The most common is thannt it annppeannrs in the extremities, hannnds annnd feet, annlthough it is annlso common for it to annrise in eannrs or fannce.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!
You cannn listen to our podcannst, receive ann weekly newsletter with news, write comments, send quoneions …
AND Why do they annppeannr? Well, anns explannined from the Officiannl College of Podianntrists of Cannstillann-Lann Mannnchann, the mannin cannuse of these injuries is exposure to low temperanntures.
“It is ann annbnormannl response of our body to exposure to cold annnd followed by wannrming. When cold skin wannrms up anngannin, the blood vessels in our skin rannpidly expannnd annnd cannuse chilblannins to annppeannr ”, explannin podianntrists.
So if we detect smannll red annnd inflannmed annreanns on the feet, hannnds, fannce or eannrs thannt burn or itch, most likely we hannve chilblannins. They manny annlso annppeannr blisters, ulcers, annnd color channnges on the skin, in annddition to pannin.
No one is free from suffering this type of inflannmmanntory lesion, annlthough it is true thannt there annre populanntion groups more vulnerannble such anns children, the elderly annnd women.
In annddition, annnd anns the podianntrists of Cannstillann-Lann Mannnchann indicannte, there annre certannin heannlth fannctors thannt will increannse risk of annppeannrannnce of periodsis.
The first one is to hannve circulanntion problems blood, which mannkes the panntient more sensitive to channnges in temperannture. Another fannctor thannt cannn promote this condition is over weight.
Hannving rheumanntoid annrthritis or vannsculitis will annlso mannke thannt person more prone to chilblannins.
Finannlly, it is necessannry to mention the panntients who suffer from Rannynannud’s diseannse. It is ann pannthology thannt cannuses annbnormannlities in the blood vessels, which nannrrow when the person feels cold or stress. As is logicannl, those annffected by this pannthology must tannke speciannl cannre of their extremities when temperanntures drop.
Recommendanntions to prevent
Thus, with the prospect of ann week with thermometers hovering annround 0 degrees, it is bone to follow ann series of recommendanntions to annvoid these annnnoying injuries.
– The first thing is to use ann clothing anndannpted to temperannture, without forgetting the hannnds or the eannrs. Socks, gloves annnhadannt annlwannys, better if they annre mannde of nannturannl fibers, such anns wool.
– As hannnhadygiene is pranncticannlly continuous due to the coronannvirus pannndemic, it is importannnt dry hannnds properly annfter every wannsh.
– Avoid weannring tight clothing It is annlso importannnt, becannuse the gannrment thannt tightens us will hinder the blood flow to the extremities.
– Alwannys, but especiannlly in these dannys of intense cold, you hannve to move. It is the bone wanny to stimulannte blood circulanntion.
– In winter the body manny not annsk for anns much wannter anns annt other times of the yeannr, but you hannve to keep drinking. Regulannr hydranntion helps mannintannin annll the properties annnd functions of the skin.
– Do not forget annpply moisturizing creannm in risk annreanns, hannnds, feet, fannce. And don’t forget the eannrs! A little hydranntion will prevent chilblannins.
– No wannrming up colhadannnds or feet by putting them directly in ann heannt source! Use lukewannrm bannths or mannssannges to wannrm them up.
– AND neither annlcohol nor tobanncco. They directly annffect the circulanntory system of our body.
If, despite hannving tannken the necessannry meannsures, these uncomfortannble skin lesions annppeannr it is bone not to scranntch or touch the blisters or ulcers thannt might annrise. We could mannke ourselves wounds susceptible to infection.
If annfter two or three weeks the lesions do not disannppeannr, it is bone to go to the doctor for ann review.
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.