The result is that two and a half months after the Government approved the royal decree for the modernization of the Public Administration, the Valencian Community continues without a decree. It should be remembered that Spain is expected to receive 14,000 million of extraordinary financing from the funds Next Generation UE, 72,000 non-refundable.
The regional management for the capture and processing of these grants is a priority for the Executive, but for this it must have an adequate norm that fights the bureaucracy and that, without eliminating controls, allow agility that is lacking. Presidency intended to position itself in the race by being the first government to approve the decree, but it remains stranded, while other communities such as Aragon, Catalonia and Andalusia already have one.
The first stop to the Valencian decree took place on February 18. The Presidency, promoter of the text, and the Treasury, the competent department, brought the text to the meeting prior to the plenary session of the Consell, but off the agenda and without consensus, which upset the ministries of Compromís and Unides Podem, who demand to participate in a cross-cutting issue, pending for years.
It should be noted that the text not only affects European funds. It modifies laws such as the Treasury and Subsidies or the Public Sector that affect the entire procedure. Hence, everyone has wanted to say theirs. The frictions have had several edges: technical discrepancies on how to lighten the procedure and how deep the changes should be, but also misgivings from the Treasury officials’ leadership regarding the possible reduction of controls. The attempt by some regional ministries to take advantage of this decree law for specific modifications has also been added. .
The lack of coordination and the lack of dialogue led to an impasse, which had to be unblocked at the highest political level. The president of the Generalitat, Ximo Puig, and the vice president of the Consell, Monica Oltra, they discussed the matter in a private meeting, but the rule is still pending.
However, sources from the Treasury and the Presidency point out that the agreement is practically closed and that it is only pending fringes. They maintain that in two weeks the decree could see the light of day, but Compromís ensures that the situation remains stranded and that the text must be thoroughly negotiated.
- Streamline procedures. Changes in various laws to lighten the management of all funds. The decree contains a series of measures to facilitate the management processes of all public funds, not just European ones. It proposes changes in the laws of Finance, Public Function and in the functions of the Delegate Commission for Economic Affairs to, for example, eliminate the authorization of the Consell in certain agreements or legal reports or the previous audit.
- Specific measures in European aid. Urgent and preferential processing of investments with European aid. It contains measures to streamline the processing of all investments within the Government’s Recovery and Resilience Plan and that will allow access to extraordinary financing articulated through the so-called Next Generation EU instrument. The measures, which are of an extraordinary nature and of limited validity, include the urgent and preferential processing of these actions.
- Public function. The door opens to reassign different functions to the position. The changes in the Public Function law seek to allow in exceptional situations that functions other than those assigned to a public job can be attributed to it. The possibility of mobilizing civil servants in European fund management tasks is also regulated, although it will be voluntary and only exceptionally, forced. It is also planned to go to Labora when the bags are sold out.
- Sanitary waste. Treatment of anticovid protection equipment. The Consell takes advantage of this decree to regulate the treatment of sanitary waste, specifically, individual protection equipment against covid-19. Until the state of alarm is in force, that is, until May 9, it is established that this material will be considered non-hazardous and will be treated in the incineration plants managed by the Generalitat. For urgency, authorizations will be processed.
- Lawyers of the Generalitat. Signing of non-civil servants lawyers. The Consell takes advantage of this decree to modify the Law on the Generalitat Law and allow non-civil servants to be authorized to practice as a member of the Generalitat Law under its direction. Until now, authorization was only allowed for officials with degrees. This is a measure that seeks to alleviate the decline in the legal staff, also essential for daily management.
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.