Three mossos d’esquadra have confirmed in the trial the involvement of the defendants Mohamed Houli, Driss Oukabir and Said Ben Iazza in the preparations for the Jihadist attacks committed in August 2017 in Las Ramblas from Barcelona and Cambrils (Tarragona).
The National Court has resumed this Wednesday the trial in which the Prosecutor’s Office asks for 41, 36 and 8 years in prison, respectively, for the accused, the first two as alleged members and the third as an alleged collaborator of the cell formed around the magnet from Ripoll (Girona) Abdelbaki Es Satty.
He died in the explosion of the house in Alcanar (Tarragona) where they were preparing the devices to commit attacks, which occurred on the night of August 16, 2017, in which another terrorist also died and the accused Mohamed Houli was injured, who was taken to the Tortosa hospital (Tarragona).
According to the police, This explosion precipitated the attacks on Las Ramblas in Barcelona the next day, by running over with a van, and on the Cambrils seafront, with knives and an ax, which left 16 dead and 140 wounded.
They have maintained that really what they were preparing was an attack with bomb vans, grenades and suicide explosive belts for August 20, 2017 at the Camp Nou on the occasion of the match between Fútbol Club Barcelona and Real Betis, as well as other actions against the Sagrada Familia, in the Catalan capital, and the Eiffel Tower, in the French capital.
Agents have reported that tThey made a statement to Mohamed Houli at four in the afternoon on August 17, minutes before the Las Ramblas attack took place., without them knowing at that time that the Alcanar explosion was related to a terrorist cell and when all the hypotheses were open.
In that first statement, Mohamed Houli told the mossos that the people who lived in Alcanar’s house told him that the powder they had was to make a “prototype of a firecracker” and the cylinders for a business that did not materialize.
They have added that around five in the afternoon the deceased Younes Abouyaaqoub entered Las Ramblas running over all the people in his path with a van which had been rented in the name of the defendant Dris Oukabir.
The mossos have emphasized that around seven thirty in the afternoon in the van they found the Mohamed Houli’s passport to what they told him at the hospital that he was being detained for a possible crime of terrorism.
One of the agents highlighted that then he confessed that in Alcanar’s house they had been preparing the explosives for two months, that he collaborated in the elaboration and that the objective was to commit attacks on monuments in Barcelona.
Witnesses have stated that the defendant Said Ben Iazza lent his isothermal van with which the terrorists transported the explosives precursors to Alcanar’s house that they bought in different locations.
The five terrorists who committed the Cambrils attacks already in the early morning of the 18th were killed by the Mossos, as was Younes Abouyaaqoub on August 21 on a road in Subirats (Barcelona) when he addressed the agents with knives and a simulated explosives belt.
Those responsible for the investigation have stressed that the initial idea of the cell was to attack the Camp Nou and the Sagrada Familia and that some of its members traveled on the 11th and 12th to France where they took photos of the Eiffel Tower in Paris as possible objective.
They have also indicated that the electronic devices seized from the cell had a list of tourist towns on the Catalan coast with nightclubs in towns such as Lloret de Mar and Sitges.
Likewise, they searched the internet for other possible targets such as the National Court in Madrid and the Tomatina festival in Buñol (Valencia).
Digsmak is a news publisher with over 12 years of reporting experiance; and have published in many industry leading publications and news sites.