Thursday, April 11

The president of El Salvador will stand for re-election, although the Constitution prohibits it


The president of El Salvador, Nayib Bukele, confirmed this Thursday, in the framework of the celebration of Independence Day, what many had already expected: that he will stand for re-election, despite the fact that the country’s Constitution prohibits presidents are eligible for a second five-year term.

“I announce to the Salvadoran people that I have decided to present myself as a candidate for the Presidency of the Republic,” said Bukele, who was elected in the first round in 2019 and will run for the position for the second time in 2024, in a speech broadcast live on public television. and social networks.

Although the Constitution prohibits a president from being re-elected immediately after one term, the Supreme Court, made up of judges appointed by lawmakers from Bukele’s party (those not related were fired), ruled in 2021 that a second consecutive term was permissible.

Authoritarianism

That measure was criticized by the United States and raised fears of a return to authoritarianism in the Latin American country.

“Developed countries have reelection,” Bukele said Thursday. “And thanks to the new configuration of the democratic institution of our country, now El Salvador will also have it,” Reuters collects.

There have been many reactions to this announcement on social networks, and some have not hesitated to retrieve a recording of the president’s father, Armando Bukele Kattan, reference for the president, in which he is opposed to re-election and the change of the Magna Carta to allow it.

Bukele launched a war against the gangs months ago, after the increase in murders during a weekend (according to an investigation, the massacre was the response of the Mara Salvatrucha to the breach of the negotiations that it had with the Bukele government, which it has denied). The main measure that the president took was to impose, in March of this year, the state of emergency, which Congress extended this Wednesday for the sixth time. As a result of this measure, more than 50,000 people have been detained for alleged gang links.

Although it has been supported by a large part of the population, more than 90% applaud it, it has been criticized by numerous human rights organizations, which have denounced arbitrary arrests and deaths in prison. Other sources denounce false accusations and the imposition of quotas to serve a certain number of arrests, which implies the arrest of people without ties to them, according to what criminal lawyer Lucrecia Landaverde told ABC. “There are policemen who have expressed to me personally that they make up to 40 daily arrests per policeman.”

At the beginning of last July, President Bukele announced, through his Twitter, the construction of a large prison to house 60,000 detainees. “We decided to do it away from the cities, surrounded by hundreds of blocks of state-owned land, with hundreds of thousands of meters of construction, several levels of walls and 37 watchtowers, which will make an escape impossible,” he wrote.


www.abc.es

Also Read  Dutch seize 14 Russian yachts; more US sanctions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *