Thursday, August 5

The Taliban boast of advances and open a truce with Kabul


Updated

The withdrawal of foreign troops from Afghanistan opens new horizons for the leaders of the extremists, who say they already control 174 districts of about 400

Shahabuddin Delawar, head of a delegation
Shahabuddin Delawar, head of a Taliban delegation in Moscow.AFP
  • The Correspondent’s Gaze Afghan women armed against the Talibn
  • Afghanistan The new wave of refugees to break in Europe in months

The Taliban say they are discussing a possible ceasefire with the Afghan government and will halt their offensive if the Doha talks are successful. They also promise to do whatever is necessary to end the presence of Islamic State terrorists in Afghanistan. The country is experiencing a situation of instability due to the attacks launched by the Talibn and, since 2015, the IS.

The United States and its NATO allies, which have maintained a military presence in Afghanistan for the past two decades, began the withdrawal of their forces. It should be completed by September 11, but on Thursday the US president stated that the Withdrawal to conclude before August 31.

This withdrawal opens up new horizons for Talibn leaders, who held a press conference in Moscow on Friday after returning last week to virtually stalled talks with Afghan government envoys in Qatar’s capital Doha. Russia is concerned about rising tensions with an old enemy near its southern border. But he also does not want a rebound from the other, more recent enemy, the Islamic State.

“We will take all measures so that the Islamic State never has a presence in the territory of Afghanistan“Shahabuddin Delawar, head of a Taliban delegation in Moscow, told a press conference in the Russian capital.

The Taliban plan to submit a written peace proposal to the Afghan government next month. But they insist they are free to attack administrative centers in Afghanistan, as they did not promise the United States to keep them out of the way, a Taliban official in Moscow told Reuters. Still, I need to the insurgents will not take the provincial capitals by force.

Speaking of the Taliban offensive in Afghanistan, Delawar pointed out that 174 districts out of about 400 have already come under the movement’s control, in a process that, he said, “would be impossible by force of arms alone”, which is “a sample clear that Afghan society is tired of the Kabul authorities. ” Government officials rejected this claim by the Taliban delegation and spoke of a propaganda campaign launched taking advantage of the withdrawal of foreign forces.

Russian concern

The escalation is causing concern in Moscow and other capitals that radical Islamists could infiltrate Central Asia. Russia has asked the parties to the Afghan conflict to act with moderation and prevent tensions from spreading beyond Afghanistan. Moscow confirms that the Talib already control two-thirds of the border between Afghanistan and Tajikistan, which is an ally of Russia. According to the permanent representative of Tajikistan before the CSTO (the defense alliance that brings together several former Soviet republics), some 1,500 Afghan soldiers fled the Taliban towards Tajik territory. 1,037 soldiers sought refuge in the neighboring country on July 5, when the Talibn took under their control several towns in the southeastern province of Badakhshn, according to the Russian agency Sputnik. Moscow is ready to increase its involvement in the conflict if it can avoid greater evils.

The growing instability in Afghanistan, which coincides with the departure of US troops, was described by Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov as proof of the failure of Washington’s adventure in that country. The Taliban delegation has ensured that it will not attack the border between Tajikistan and Afghanistan.

According to the criteria of

The Trust Project

Know more




www.elmundo.es

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *