Thursday, December 2

The UN Security Council will discuss Sudan after the death of three protesters


The UN Security Council has scheduled an emergency closed-door meeting on the coup in Sudan for Tuesday.

Diplomats said Monday night that the consultations were requested by the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Ireland, Norway and Estonia.

The meeting has been scheduled for 4 p.m. EDT (22:00 CET), diplomats said ahead of an official announcement.

Sudan’s military seized power on Monday, arresting Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok and other transitional government officials, sparking protests from thousands of protesters across the country demanding a return to civilian rule.

At least three protesters died after security forces opened fire, according to the Sudan Medical Committee, and another 80 were injured.

The takeover threatened the country’s shaky advance toward democracy and comes more than two years after protesters forced the ouster of autocrat Omar al-Bashir and just weeks before the military was supposed to hand over leadership of the council. that governs the country over civilians.

Washington suspends 700 million dollars (603 million euros) in emergency assistance to Sudan after the coup.

State Department spokesman Ned Price said the full amount of the aid package had been put on “pause” pending a review of events in Khartoum. The money, which was direct financial support, was intended to help the country transition to a fully civilian government. Price said additional assistance from the United States could also be affected.

The government condemned the military takeover and dissolution of a civilian-led transitional authority and demanded the release of all officials detained in the overnight coup, which led to the arrest of Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok. Price said the administration was watching events “very closely” and “will not hesitate” to hold those responsible for the coup accountable.

The European Union and several member states have also asked the “illegally detained” with the bloc’s top diplomat, Josep Borrell, saying in a statement that “the actions of the military represent a betrayal of the revolution, the transition and the legitimate requests of the Sudanese people for peace, justice and economic development.”

The head of the armed forces, General Abdel-Fattah Burhan, announced on national television that he was dissolving the government and the Sovereign Council, a joint military-civil body created shortly after al-Bashir’s ouster to govern the country.

Burhan said disputes between political factions led to military intervention. Tensions have risen for weeks over the course and pace of the transition to democracy in Sudan, an African nation linked by language and culture to the Arab world.

The general declared a state of emergency and said the military will appoint a technocratic government to lead the country to elections, scheduled for July 2023. But he made it clear that the military will remain in command.

“The Armed Forces will continue to complete the democratic transition until the transfer of the country’s leadership to an elected civilian government,” he said. He added that the constitution will be rewritten and a legislative body will be formed with the participation of “young men and women who made this revolution.”

The Information Ministry, still loyal to the dissolved government, called his speech “an announcement of a seizure of power through a military coup.”




feedproxy.google.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share