Dozens of Britons who lost loved ones in a terrorist attack at a Tunisian resort reached a settlement with the Tui travel company, after starting a multi-million dollar compensation case.
The settlement for an undisclosed amount was reached “without admission of responsibility or fault,” according to a joint statement issued by the operator and a law firm acting on behalf of the families, who had alleged that the hotel’s security was deficient in the resort.
Seifeddine Rezgui killed 38 people, including 30 Britons, at the Riu Imperial Marhaba hotel complex on the coast of Susa, injuring dozens more on June 26, 2015.
In an investigation in London in 2017, legal advisers for families who lost loved ones suggested that lives could have been saved if Tui had carried out a security audit prior to the attack. However, a judge who ruled that the 30 Britons who were shot to death had been illegally murdered said little could have been done to prevent the massacre.
The families then filed civil lawsuits for damages estimated at £ 10 million from Tui, claiming that warnings of an imminent terror threat were ignored.
The joint statement issued Thursday by Tui and the Irwin Mitchell law firm, representing more than 80 people, read: “The tragic events of June 26, 2015 in Tunisia shocked and devastated us all and changed the lives of the forever affected.
“Tui has always expressed his deepest condolences to the families and friends of those caught in the terrorist attack that day and continues to express his deepest condolences.
“The plaintiffs have fought tirelessly to understand how the attack occurred and to try to ensure that lessons have been learned so that other families are not affected by a similar tragedy.
“Tui has worked in collaboration with the plaintiffs and their representatives, Irwin Mitchell, to reach an agreement without admitting responsibility or fault and in recognition of the totally exceptional circumstances of the case, and in the hope that it will serve in some way to help the claimants “.
The statement added: “Tui appreciates how difficult it must be to come out of such a horrible incident, but hopes that today will provide an opportunity for those affected to begin.”
Tui, owner of Thomson Holidays, through which the 30 British victims booked their trip, came under significant scrutiny in the 2017 investigation into his handling of travel advice for Tunisia by the FCO.
In the investigation in the Royal Courts of Justice it was reported that some of the survivors of the mass shooting claim that they were told by Tui travel agents before traveling that the North African country was “100% safe” and were not shown no official travel advice warning that the threat of terrorism was high.
The first British package tours to Tunisia resumed in 2018. FCO Travel Tips for Your Currently Filing Country the Tunisian government has improved protective security in major cities and resorts.
He adds: “It is very likely that terrorists will try to carry out more attacks in Tunisia, even against the interests of the UK and the West.”
George is Digismak’s reported cum editor with 13 years of experience in Journalism