Tuesday, December 7

Two million textbooks of the Community of Madrid, thrown away for applying the Celaá Law


Just two weeks before the start of the school year in which the application of the new Education Law, popularly known as ‘Celaá Law’, will be released, the regional government is already suffering some of its consequences. The curricular modifications that the rule will bring with it do not like the Madrid Executive because they suppose, in his opinion, a reduction of the level of knowledge of the students. But in addition, they cause another very expensive derivative: two million textbooks, all the funds from the loan bank used by hundreds of thousands of families in Madrid, will stop serving. And renewing them will cost the regional government at least 50 million euros, according to their first estimates, “and it can

what else, “they point to ABC.

The textbook loan program emerged in Madrid in 2017 as a result of a law promoted by Ciudadanos. It consists of delivering a batch of books for each course to the students, with the commitment that they return them to the next course in good condition, and they will receive those corresponding to the course they start. It was launched in 2018-19 only for families with a certain income level, reaching 180,000 students. The second year already reached 300,000 students, and this past year, 2020-21, 410,000 families benefited from it. The books are periodically renewed: every year the first and second year of Primary – which are not reusable, because they are written about -, and every four years all of a specific course.

Financial problem

But the application of the new educational law supposes to introduce changes in the contents, denounced yesterday the Minister of Education, Science and Universities, Enrique Ossorio. “Of the two million textbooks that we now have in the Accede program, we will have to throw away half in the 2022-23 academic year, and the other half in 2023-24, due to changes in the curriculum,” said the spokesperson for the Regional executive, who regretted the “financial problem” that this poses for the council.

However, what Ossorio regrets most are the reasons for the change: «If it were to improve the training of students … But it is so that students learn less. They don’t want a critical society. And they create a very important financial problem for us, “he censored.

Titles for everyone

Madrid has shown its concern about the entry into force of the new Education Law. Ossorio has been very critical of a legal text that «It was approved in the middle of the pandemic and without consensus, and it caused a ‘shock’ in the spring for what it supposed to affect the rights of parents in relation to concerted or special education.

It supposes, in his opinion, a «drop in the quality of public education, which at the beginning of the summer it was translated into the decree that sanctifies the approved general, and urges to give titles to all. “It does not matter that then those titles are wet paper and are not worth anything,” he lamented.

Now we are in the phase of preparing the curricula, the contents of the subjects. Based, Ossorio criticizes, in that “students have to have less knowledge, be happy and study ecology and sex.” “That is very good, but we cannot forget the greatest common divisor or the rule of three,” he defends.

For this reason, now that the course in which they will have to apply this Law is about to begin, Ossorio recognizes that “with regard to evaluations”, they can “do little”, because the norm “is exhaustive”: “The teachers are left at the feet of the horses and they will see how some students with six or eight failed subjects, pass the course”.

Essential knowledge

However, Madrid is not going to sit idly by: it is willing to “plead with the Ministry of Education” that “it does not” seem “correct” to them. And to act: 60 percent of the contents are set by the Ministry, because they are considered “essential knowledge” and common to all. But the remaining 40 percent are dictated by each community, according to what “considers it convenient to develop.” There they will enter, for example, skills that they believe are basic, such as Roman numerals, or diphthongs and triphthongs. In this way, they will improve education and they will try to “straighten the curricula», Concluded the counselor Ossorio.

The Master Law, already approved by the Governing Council and pending its vote in the Assembly, will help with regard to the shielding of concerted education and special education.


www.abc.es

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share