Scotland Yard officials have spoken with Prince Andrew’s accuser Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who alleges she was forced to have sex with him when she was 17, it was reported.
In an interview in August, after Giuffre filed a civil lawsuit against the prince, Met Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick said that “no one is above the law” and that she had “asked my team to recheck the material”.
the Sunday Times reported that Met officials had since questioned Giuffre, who now lives in Australia, about the allegations. He said it was unclear whether a formal statement had been taken from him.
The prince has denied “absolutely and categorically” having had sexual relations with Giuffre and Buckingham Palace has called the claims “false and without foundation”.
Dick said in August that two previous reviews of the case had already been conducted. He said the issues to consider included whether there was evidence of a crime and whether the UK was the appropriate jurisdiction to deal with the case.
The lawsuit accuses Andrew of sexually abusing Giuffre at the London home of socialite Ghislaine Maxwell and on properties owned by disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein.
A now-notorious photo of Andrew with an arm around Giuffre’s waist is said to have been taken by Epstein at his friend Maxwell’s home during a visit to London in 2001, when Giuffre was around 17 years old. suggested the photo was a fake, a claim vehemently denied by her accuser, while Andrew has said he “doesn’t remember” meeting her.
Giuffre’s US attorney, Sigrid McCawley, a partner at Boies Schiller Flexner, told the Sunday Times: “Given the clear and compelling evidence implicating Prince Andrew, the Metropolitan Police should reopen their investigation and defend their statement that no one is above of the law. “
In a statement, a Met spokesperson said: “We do not confirm with whom we may or may not have spoken.”
Giuffre claims in the lawsuit that it was “loaned for sexual purposes” by Epstein, a registered sex offender, even as a minor under US law. The prince faces an October 29 deadline to formally respond to the lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages.
In August it was reported that Andrew was considered a “person of interest” in the investigation into Epstein, who committed suicide in jail in 2019, and Maxwell.
The phrase “person of interest” is used by law enforcement to refer to someone who has not been arrested or formally charged with any crime, but may refer to someone who may have information that would aid in the investigation.
Maxwell, who faces trial in New York in November, has pleaded not guilty to sex trafficking charges regarding his alleged involvement with Epstein.
Andrew, 61, resigned from his royal duties in 2019 in the wake of a disastrous interview with Emily Maitlis for the BBC’s Newsnight. He told Maitlis that he could not have had sex with Giuffre at Maxwell’s London home on the date in question because he was home after attending a children’s party at Pizza Express in Woking.
George is Digismak’s reported cum editor with 13 years of experience in Journalism