Kamala Harris in a file photo during a pre-election campaign event.
JEFF KOWALSKY / AFP / Getty Images
The vice president-elect of the United States, Kamala Harris, presented in May of this year along with two other senators a bill that provides for stimulus checks of $ 2,000 per month, plus the same amount per dependent up to three.
El “Monthly Economic Crisis Support Act” was presented by Harris in the Senate -republican majority- along with fellow Democrat Ed Markley and Bernie Sanders.
The legislation states that Americans making $ 120,000 annually or less would be eligible for the monthly incentive with payments phasing out. Couples could receive up to $ 4,000 per month, while families with children will receive up to an additional $ 2,000 per month per child with a maximum of three eligible dependents.
In theory, if the proposal is approved, the monthly maximum per family could reach $ 10,000 considering the money per dependents.
The measure did not receive the necessary support to pass to the plenary session, among other things, because it involved a large outlay of money, more than double that provided under the CARES law, under which stimulus checks are still distributed after its approval in March.
The Institute of Taxes and Economic Policy (ITEP) estimated at $ 5.7 trillion dollars the investment required to implement the provisions of the “Monthly Economic Crisis Support Act”.
The ITEP assessment anticipates that the average household would receive up to $ 35,180 over a 10-month period.
In the months after his nomination for the vice presidency by the Democratic Party, Harris has redirected his attention to other issues.
However, in June, following media reviews of a request from a Denver, Colorado merchant couple on the Change platform. org to approve checks of $ 2,000 a month minimum, the senator spoke again on the matter.
On the 9th of that month, Harris shared a message in favor of the measure on Twitter. “Our economy is now in recession, stemming from a public health crisis with no end in sight. We need bold policies if we are to overcome this crisis. That is the reason why I am proposing payments of $ 2,000 per month for the duration of the pandemic, ”reads the Democrat’s tweet.
Our economy is now in a recession, stemming from a public health crisis with no end in sight. We need bold policies if we’re going to get through this crisis.
That’s why I’m proposing $2,000 monthly payments for the duration of the pandemic.
– Kamala Harris (@SenKamalaHarris) June 10, 2020
Following the popularity of the campaign started by Stephanie Bonin, the senators met with Bonin to know his feelings.
Although Harris will remain a senator until she is sworn in as vice president of the United States next January, that does not mean that the proposal will be retaken. Although the former California attorney general might as well try to move the chips for the bill presented in the Senate to be considered again.
However, part of the center of the dispute between Democrats and Republicans in the discussion of a new stimulus package that includes a second round of checks is precisely the amount of the legislation.
At the moment, the leaders in the conversations who have been completely stopped since shortly before the elections do not seem to give in to the intentions of the other. While the overhang presidente Donald Trump, immersed in a battle to prove alleged electoral fraud, has not commented on the matter since October 30.
The expectation is that the new Senate will be a Republican majority after the final count of votes for seats in Georgia, so Democrats will not be able to proceed freely on disputed measures such as economic stimulus.
About two weeks ago, Markey resumed his call to be stepped forward before the election to tailor to distribute $ 2,000 monthly checks.
“In the seven months since the pandemic began, Americans have received a single payment of $ 1,200. Every day that passes that we fail to provide direct, recurring payments is another day that more and more families struggle to pay rent and put food on the table, “Markey said from his Twitter account.
In the 7 months since this pandemic began, Americans have received a single payment of $1200. Every day that passes where we fail to provide direct, recurring cash payments is another day that more and more families struggle to make rent and put food on the table.
— Ed Markey (@EdMarkey) October 18, 2020
Seis claves del “Monthly Economic Crisis Support Act”
- US residents, regardless of whether or not they filed taxes or have a Social Security number, would be eligible.
- The program uses information from Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (SNAP), Supplemental Security Income, Medicare, and others to make sure the largest number of people get paid.
- The information that the Government will use to send the money will be the tax return for 2019 or 2018. If the person did not file that information, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will use “any information that has been provided to federal or state agencies.”
- Like in the payment round of the first stimulus check approved in Congress, beneficiaries would receive the incentive via direct deposit or by mail for not having a bank account; although the measure mentions that other online payment systems could be used.
- The payments would be retroactive until March of next year, the same month that the national emergency was declared.
- The bill provides that payments would end “in the third month starting after the date the Secretary of Health and Human Resources determines that the public health emergency related to COVID-19 has ended.”
Digsmak is a news publisher with over 12 years of reporting experiance; and have published in many industry leading publications and news sites.