Plant-based diets have become very popular in recent years thanks to its increasing popularity for ethical, environmental, spiritual and health reasons, as indicated Insider.
This type of diet includes several food sources that help to generate a diverse and quite healthy menu for the diner. Below we detail about plant-based diets, and the benefits they can bring.
What is a plant-based diet?
As its name suggests, a plant-based diet is a type of diet that consists mostly of meals composed of plant-based food sources, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, seeds, nuts, and oils.
Certain plant-based diets can contain foods of animal origin, although in a small percentage. This makes such diets of a mixed nature.
Among the types of plant-based diets can be found:
- Lacto-vegetarian diet: Diet that excludes red and white meat, fish, eggs, and flour, but allows dairy.
- This vegetarian diet: Excludes red and white meats, fish, flour, and dairy products, but allows eggs and egg products.
- Vegetarian lacto-ovo diet: It excludes red and white meats, fish and flour, but allows eggs and dairy.
- Pescaterian diet: Same as a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet, but allowing fish.
- Diet flexitariana; A lacto-ovo vegetarian diet in which meat is occasionally eaten.
- Vegan diet: Diet without animal products including eggs, milk, meat, or honey.
Benefits of a plant-based diet
Following a plant-based diet has been linked to different positive health effects, such as the following 3.
- Weightloss: Animal products like dairy and meat are commonly high in saturated fat and low in fiber, and research indicates that eating foods high in saturated fat may be linked to obesity and heart risk.
- ·Decreased risk of diabetes: A 2009 study found that the prevalence of prediabetes and type 2 diabetes is significantly lower among people who follow plant-based eating patterns than it is for those who eat meat.
- Decreased cardiac risk: Animal meats are high in saturated fat, sodium and cholesterol, which contributes to the accumulation of platelets in the arteries, which increases the possibility that you will develop a case of coronary heart disease.
In case you want to start applying a plant-based diet in your day to day, it is preferable that you consult with a nutritionist first to find out how useful or not the diet may be for you, and to properly plan the transition from your current diet.
You may also like:
Know the cottage cheese and yogurt diet to lose weight in a week
The Weirdest Weight Loss Methods Ever
What is the Ying Yang diet and how to apply it
The 7 most popular diets among celebrities
Eddie is an Australian news reporter with over 9 years in the industry and has published on Forbes and tech crunch.